What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Squeezer yoke question

Question for the more experienced builders... I am about to purchase a pneumatic squeezer to help with my -10 build. I am currently working on the tail kit. I will probably be buying a re-built unit (unless a fair deal comes up on the forums or ebay) and I can choose which yoke comes with it. So my question is, working on the tail kit and moving to the wings, which yoke is best suited? I will be buying aditional yokes down the line as needed, but figured I would start with one thats universal and I can get the most immediate use out of. (Price of the yokes is irrelevant as the squeezer price will change depending on the yoke).

Thanks!
Jonathan

Last edited:
I’m only through the vert stab and the rudder but I have used a standard 3” yoke the most, then a 4” tight squeeze yoke, and a few times the longeron yoke. I would buy those three again in a heartbeat. If I could only have two it would probably be the longeron and the tight squeeze yoke. Only one I’d probably go with the longeron but I would save for the tight squeeze pretty quick.

-Bryan

Like golf clubs.....

Yokes work out little bit like golf clubs...... one for every situation. Hard to play the whole game with just one.... as it looks like you are aware.

But the one that lives on my squeezer most of the time is the longeron yoke.

Longeron

Longeron if I had to use.one but prefer the smallest one that fits the job. Less flex, better shop heads. You also would benefit from the adjustable ram and quick change pins.

The two I use most are the 3" and the longeron. The 4" no-hole is nice to have when you are in tight places, but seldom used (at least by me). As Larry said, make sure you get the adjustable ram and quick change pins as well.

https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/2701.htm

If you haven’t bought the squeezer yet, I highly recommend the Numatx. Just get it; you’ll thank me later.

And then I agree, the only two you really need are the longeron and a 3” yoke. I have others, but these are the only two I actually use. I find for anything else, It’s generally easier to just use a rivet gun and bucking bar.

Longeron

Agreement? Wow we never seem to agree. The question must have been too easy.

If I could only have one yoke it would be a Longeron.

Thank you everyone for the input. I know I will need an assortment of yokes, Just trying to decide which 1 or 2 should be first on my list. Looking like 3" and longeron are the first 2 I should get

Thank you everyone for the input. I know I will need an assortment of yokes, Just trying to decide which 1 or 2 should be first on my list. Looking like 3" and longeron are the first 2 I should get

Those 2 yokes will handle 99% of your needs. And between the 3” and the longeron the longeron will do a lot of what the 3” can do but not vice versa.

I have a highly modified 1-1/2" yoke that will fit anywhere the upper set will fit, the longeron yoke, and a 4" yoke. I use them in that order probably about 85%/14%/1%.

I use the 1-1/2" for dimpling and riveting edges etc. Most places it won't fit won't work with a deeper yoke and the deeper yokes have too much flex for dimpling.

The longeron is nice to have but it tends to not fit where you really want it to (riveting ribs in awkward positions), even after grinding down. No regrets having it.

The 4" is nice as an option but I could do without it. I used it a handful of places on the tail kit and on the trailing edge of the wing skins.

6" yoke

If you want to upgrade to a real neat deal get on Facebook Market place under RV forums.
There is a guy who makes a 6" yoke for the Numatx for $300.00
I ordered one and it is very well made and doesn't flex under -4 rivets.
I stumbled upon his post and make an immediate request for one. Don't have much use for it, BUT, it has been a life saver a few times.
Not for anything but the Numatx.
Art

Ask people in your EAA chapter

Ask people in your EAA Chapter or airport. I'm more than happy to loan out any expensive tool I have that I've only used a few times in 30 years.

Back