What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch Database Corruption

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I think my SD card is dying, or maybe my new SD card reader damaged it. Anyhow, after the most recent database update, my G3X Touch now has these messages:

PFD one or more IFR/VFR Charts files are corrupt.
MFD one or more IFR/VFR Charts files are corrupt.

I think that the databases show they are current when I start up the panel. So putting a fresh database load on an SD card does not offer to install anything.

Is there a safe way to reinstall current databases on the G3X Touch?

3. Upon turn-on, a screen appears which lists the databases on the SD card. A green checkbox indicates that the database already installed on the GDU 4XX is up to date, an empty checkbox indicates that the database on the SD card is more current and should be installed (alternatively, the Database Update page can be accessed via Main Menu > Tools > Database > Menu > Update Databases). Page 35-179 in the manual.

My unit is non-touch, but this is in the shared manual, can you select the database as noted?

3. Upon turn-on, a screen appears which lists the databases on the SD card. A green checkbox indicates that the database already installed on the GDU 4XX is up to date, an empty checkbox indicates that the database on the SD card is more current and should be installed (alternatively, the Database Update page can be accessed via Main Menu > Tools > Database > Menu > Update Databases). Page 35-179 in the manual.

My unit is non-touch, but this is in the shared manual, can you select the database as noted?

Good catch in the manual. I will give that a shot!

Reformat the SD card. When you do this make sure, important, it is reformatting in a FAT32 format. The Garmin will only accept a FAT32. Then reload the data and try again.

Thank you Bill for this help! Very timely as I had the same issue as the OP happen to me just a couple of days ago. After seeing this post, went to hangar, followed the menu steps, and was able to update G3X as needed.

I was able to clear the errors by installing the databases from a fresh SD card. It was time-consuming because I had to select and confirm each database in the list and a couple are big files, but it worked out and I didn’t see any errors in my test flight. Thanks for the tip!

I am having the same issue on my G3X Touch. The message is for the PFD one or more IFR/VFR Charts files are corrupt. I reloaded all of data files and am still getting the error. Any other suggestions?

Received this response from G3Xpert in case this happens to others:

“Hello,

You will need to delete the IFR/VFR charts from the G3x Touch and reload the databases.

To do this hold the NRST key during power-up. Then press Menu -> Menu > Tools -> File Browser -> Rasters -> Menu -> Delete.

If you have a second screen you will need to do this on the display as well. Pull the PFD breaker and repeat the steps on the MFD.

If you have any questions we can walk you through this over the phone. Call us at 866-739-5687.

Best Regards,
Brian

Back