What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650 Internal Battery Replacement

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
GTN Message.jpg

I was getting a "Low Internal Clock Battery" message every time I started my GTN 650. I affects how fast the unit will find and lock onto satellites. Eventually, if the battery dies, your 650 will continue to operate, but initial positioning may take a long time.

I dug around and found an old thread referenced here on VAF site, ordered the battery and thought, what can go wrong??

First step after taking the 650 out of the panel, remove the 6 screws holding to top on and remove the top.

Ligt Top Off.jpg

With the top removed, it's easy to see the small battery under a small black cover. That's the one...

Battery to replace.jpg

You need to remove the black plastic battery cover. I used a small plastic prybar, gently inserting it in one end at a time and putting slight pressure away from the end of the battery and the case just unsnaps off.

Remove the old battery and insert the new LS 14250 3.6 volt battery. Replace the black plastic cover.

remove Batt cover.jpg

New LC14250 3 6 volt.jpg

Reinstall cover.jpg

Here's the battery I used.

SAFT LS 14250 Battery.jpg

Replace the top cover, reinstall the 5 long and 1 short screws.

6 screws back in.jpg

That's it. Total time from getting in the cockpit to getting back out after powering up and not seeing the "Low Internal Clock Battery" message, less than 10 minutes... Garmin states that the battery should last up to 10 years. I installed my 650 in 2012 so they hit it pretty close I'd say.

Last edited:
Yes, EXCELLENT!!
Bought my 650 when they first came out also. Didn’t even know there was an internal battery. Will be printing your post out & saving it in my CI document binder.
Thank You

Back