What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset issues

N661DJ

Well Known Member
I have a pair of Light Speed Zulu headsets, great product, working fine, however, the cords are in poor condition, cracked insulation, look bad. I have contacted Light Speed for repairs, “we no longer support that product”, poor customer support, I would be reluctant to purchase another Light Speed product is there anyone out there that can repair/replace these cords, headsets are otherwise perfect.
Dick

Just got my Z-3s back

Sent in for minor issue and they sent them back "as new" without any charge -- always found Lightspeed to be class outfit, but I understand how older units, from any manufacturer, have a defined life span.

Ron

Also had a problem with my Zulu 3 headset. Sent it to LightSpeed for repairs and came back like new - no charge. Also very quickly! My impression was that Light Speed is first class.

Responsible use of resources

Wish I could help with the cord repair. But I do want to support your frustration.

I am far from being any kind of 'greeny' or Gaia resource alarmist. But today's marketplace ostensibly demands it right?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect our vendors to support their products past their market price points, rather than actually encouraging a throw away economy. If we have to pay a premium for 'older stock,' or if it takes a retrofit for a reasonable price then in our current worldview that's what should happen.

I agree with your assessment of customer service when your serviceable but worn headset would be seen as an opportunity by the vendor to force your hand toward upgrading.

Last edited:
I have Lightspeed Zulu as well. Twice I've returned them for service. First was like others experiences... new cords. The old ones had become sticky feeling. They were always hangared inside the plane. They said they had seen this in some of there others so no charge. Second time the left side quit working all together. Fixed and returned. This one I did pay for.

Our experience with Lightspeed support has always been excellent. I would suspect that the reason they no longer repair your headset is a parts obsolescence issue. The original Zulus are pretty old. Can't fix it if they can no longer get the parts.

Not all companies are the same...........
Dclark.PNG

fixed

I have two Zulu 2's. One is at least 8 years old. They both had the sticky junk on them and the cords were coming apart. I sent both of them off to Lightspeed for repair last month. They replaced the cords and the control box. They even sent an extra set of ear cups and head pad. Also new batteries installed. 100 bucks each. I am very happy with their service. I just hope the new cords are better quality than the original ones.

The Zulu 3's have Kevlar cords, I wanted those but they won't just put those on unless you update the 2's to the 3's which cost 300 bucks each.

I really like my A-20's but I have a Zulu 2 that Lightspeed upgraded to a -3. they were fast and the headset works as good as any quality noise-cancelling headset I've used. At some point it's reasonable (IMHO) to expect that parts might not be available for older issue products.

-Marc

I just wonder how wires and audio jacks could become obsolete over time. These are not IC chip components that manufacturers typically use as an obsolescence-based upgrade path excuse.

I had a Bonanza come in with Zulu 2 headsets that had been sitting on the second row leather seats for about 6 months. The ear seals had a chemical reaction with the leather and were stuck down hard. Pulling on the headsets resulted in the earseal faux leather material ripping off the earseal staying stuck to the leather. It took a lot of cleaning and work to get the seats back in order but there are still some black marks left over from the ear seals. So while I like Lightspeed as a company perhaps they don't have as extensive materiel testing of the likes of DC, Telex or Bose.

I just wonder how wires and audio jacks could become obsolete over time. These are not IC chip components that manufacturers typically use as an obsolescence-based upgrade path excuse.

It's possible that the wires are attached to another component such as the control box in a "permanent" configuration, that requires the replacement of the whole box which may no longer be available due to upgrades. Just a thought.

-Marc

It's possible that the wires are attached to another component such as the control box in a "permanent" configuration, that requires the replacement of the whole box which may no longer be available due to upgrades. Just a thought.

-Marc

Great point. If it's only the wires and the control module is still serviceable despite being unavailable then the only option for the OP might be some fine desoldering/soldering or hire it out. At which point it is might not be feasible.

I have Lightspeed Zulu as well. Twice I've returned them for service. First was like others experiences... new cords. The old ones had become sticky feeling. They were always hangared inside the plane. They said they had seen this in some of there others so no charge. Second time the left side quit working all together. Fixed and returned. This one I did pay for.

Can be wiped off with GOO GONE.

Old Lightspeeds

I had two Lightspeed headsets and parts of another that came with a dismantle/ sell project. One had broken stirrups attaching the earcups, two were sticky and gooey. Two worked and actually one was superb with good NR, great sound quality and volume, and it was very comfortable. The separate battery box was distorted from heat but did not seem to affect performance. The rep on the phone was very nice and wanted to help but Lightspeed would not touch any of them since their parts inventory was gone. I came away wondering what’s with that sticky gooey deal… cheap plastics? The broken stirrups were crummy plastic, too. Later Lightspeeds look much better and I might consider one if my much loved but high $ Bose ever dies.

Replacement cords at Oshkosh

Does anyone know if one will be able to buy a few yards of replacement cord for Lightspeed Zulu headsets, while at Oshkosh next week. They do not support the old ones anymore so I cannot send it in.

Thank you all.

I had a Bonanza come in with Zulu 2 headsets that had been sitting on the second row leather seats for about 6 months. The ear seals had a chemical reaction with the leather and were stuck down hard. Pulling on the headsets resulted in the earseal faux leather material ripping off the earseal staying stuck to the leather. It took a lot of cleaning and work to get the seats back in order but there are still some black marks left over from the ear seals. So while I like Lightspeed as a company perhaps they don't have as extensive materiel testing of the likes of DC, Telex or Bose.

Although...I had that exact thing happen with a Bose A-20 that I was buying from a buddy for my passenger seat. Only about 3 years old. Fortunately it was his seat that they were stuck to. I got a good deal and replaced the ear pads for $15 from Amazon. And yes...I'm careful not to store them in proximity to anything I don't want them to stick to.

I'm gonna give this "KC Headsets" guy a call in post `17. I've got a Bose 10, I bought in 2007. I thought it was the hearing jack in my 8 going bad, but my mechanic is pretty sure its the hearing jack on my headset. I called Bose, but they said--Too bad, its too old, we don't support it anymore---lay out $1200 + for a new one. So its 16 years old, and the only thing I ever had to replace is the ear pads. BUT-- I never leave it in my 8. I always bring it home, and hang it on top of my office door. That way, its air conditioned in summer, and heated in winter. No moisture--no heat.:cool::cool:

Back