What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing VHF com in automotbile via line level

jliltd

Well Known Member
Not directly RV related but avionics related....

I have a spare Trig TY91 transceiver and was thinking about installing it in our remote airport Land Cruiser. The install itself is straight forward with the control head and remote com transceiver, but I am curious as to whether the headphone output of the Trig could be wired directly to a line level input of the automobile's stereo so the transmissions could be heard over the speakers. Like we would do if connecting the com to an audio panel. The Trig diagrams mention a 600ohm signal to aircraft audio panels for the headphone circuit. Don't know if this stuff would be compatible and wouldn't want to fry a $1400 Trig or $500 car head unit.

If this isn't a compatible combination of signals from the comm to the line level inputs I could go Plan B and investigate installing a dedicated 4 ohm speaker wired directly to the Trig but that would be inelegant and require more modifications to the vehicle dashboard.

Last edited:
Back