What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ordering fuse soon- suggestions on adds/deletes

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey all-

I'm ordering a fuselage kit this week- slow build, tailwheel, probably a tip up, although I'm honestly til on the fence about that.

If it were you, what would you add or delete from the order, and why?

Looking for help from those who have gone before me...

Fuse order

I ordered the SC-15 canopy. UV rated
All canopy weldments were ordered bare and powder coated my prefered color after they were fit.
Deleted all the brakes, wheels and tires. I purchased a Beringer kit.

I'm building a 7 tail dragger with with a slider.... for me I ordered the wing center section as I plan to do QP wings when the fuselage is done. You need to decide when you order either tip up or slider, there are different parts (skins, fwd ribs) and differences in the build of the 705 bulkhead. The differences aren't that great and you likely could change your mind later without too much hassle or cost.

Thats the kind of input I'm looking for. I definitely want the andair fuel valve, but for whatever reason assumed that it was probably in a downstream kit.

Looking for anything else that I don't know enough to realize I need to delete now.

Thanks guys

Anytime there is a big crate to ship across the country, I add sheet aluminum unless you have a good local source.

There's nothing like a slider when taxiing in the summer in Wichita or Scottsdale!

Yeah, I'm sure you're right, but a friend had a 6 with a slider and I didn't really like the bow across the front. Plus he said it was drafty in the winter.

Don't know that the tipper would really be any better in that regard, but it seems like it should be.

According to the published shipping weight on the vans site, the tipper looks to be about 20 lbs lighter....

I know that his is dangerously close to never-ending debate territory, but how hard is it for a beat up old guy such as myself to maneuver into a tail wheel tip cockpit vs. a slider that has grab handles on the bow? I suppose that would really seal the deal one way or the other.

Tipper vs. slider... I built my plane to fly, not taxi and the unlimited visibility out of the Tip-up is amaxiy! Besides, taxiing on a hot muggy day in the SE with the tip-up propped open still sees a lot of air movement in the cockpit. Also, a tip-up taildragger is the lightest combination, thus faster! ;)

As for recommendations, right seat brake pedals, a DJM center throttle quadrant, the new access panels for the foreskin, and that's all I can think of for now.

Thats the kind of input I'm looking for. I definitely want the andair fuel valve, but for whatever reason assumed that it was probably in a downstream kit.

Looking for anything else that I don't know enough to realize I need to delete now.

Thanks guys

Terry, if you are fitting manual trim and a fuel injected engine you need a longer trim cable. Not a common combo I know but you never know!

VA-118 brake lines (from left master cylinder to firewall) and also the Wing intersection fairings, come in the finish kit. These are both items that you may want during fuselage construction.

Also the boost pump for fuel injected engines is not actually included in any kit for the RV-7, even firewall forward. This may also be true of the pump for a carb setup. You may want this during fuselage construction so you can complete all the plumbing, so be aware it needs to be ordered separately. There is an Andair option for this as well.

Back