What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easy ways of draining oil cooler

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Any suggest for an easy way of draining oil cooler other than removing it and re-installing it?

thanks in advance

Get the oil warm enough to be viscous. Undo the low lines to allow for it to drip dry. It will take a few days.

In another words, you are suggesting to remove it and drain it :D

BTW, this is in a 14 which the oil cooler is sitting on its side, so removing the line will only drain it partially.

Flush it out with the fresh oil you've replenished during your oil change by starting the engine after you're done?

- mark

Have a drain installed

Posted this before. This is how I drain my cooler. Have to think ahead.
Update:
Mine is a 9 row oil cooler from Pacific Cooler. Maybe I could have mounted it so the main lines attached on the bottom. But that would necessitate removing a line to drain the oil in it. Not something I wanted to do. This way the main lines are shorter at the top and the drain plug has worked very well for 18+ oil changes. There’s nearly a quart of dirty oil in there after draining the sump. I want as much out as easily possible. This is EZ.

Attachments

• 7549078A-3AC1-4B57-9AC0-09F63E4A73C8.jpg
    7549078A-3AC1-4B57-9AC0-09F63E4A73C8.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Just curious, why does one need to drain the oil cooler? Is this to get old oil out when changing it?

Just curious, why does one need to drain the oil cooler? Is this to get old oil out when changing it?

This is not the case for me, I am going back to straight mineral and don't want to mix that with the existing oil that is in the cooler which is ashless dispersant oil.

I will remove the cooler which is only four bolts.

Back