What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon pitot mast

Rv8bill

I intend to install the Dynon pitot mast as a retrofit in my RV8. It will replace the standard vans single line pitot system already installed. The mechanical installation of the mast support shouldn't be as difficult as I initially thought. I will position it against the outboard side of the rib that is located immediately outboard of the aileron bellcrank. Unless there is a way to incorporate the existing pitot line (I don't see how) I will run new plastic tubing for both the pitot and static connections. Checking to see if anyone has done this same retrofit and willing to offer suggestions. Thanks.

Pitot Mast Install

RV8Bill,
I installed the Dynon Pitot Tube mast exactly as you are planning on the outside of the rib adjacent to the bell crank.. I did not want to do another inspection panel, but there is enough room to get the job done working through the existing inspection panel at the bell crank. I simply plugged the hole remaining after removal of the old single probe pitot. It does help to have a friend to buck the rivets.....

I retrofitted the new mast directly on the aileron belcrank cover itself on the RV-8 and the Rocket. No issues.

I made a pitot pack right on the inspection panel, I've flown it over 100hrs with no problems. The idea is that I can easily access the guts if needed and it makes it super simple for static pitot testing/troubleshooting. It easily clears any tie down I've ever parked at too.

Attachments

• 20211216_151743.jpg
    20211216_151743.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 20211216_165124.jpg
    20211216_165124.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 101
Back