What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA 245 audio button select default?

tturner

Well Known Member
I have a new GMA 245 audio panel in my RV-14A. When it is powered up the Comm 1 audio, Comm 2 audio and Mic 2 are selected. What I would like for default is Comm 1 audio and Mic 1 selected. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

My setup is Dynon Skyview comm for #1 and Garmin 430W for Comm #2. I have reset the unit to factory defaults which had no effect.

I have a new GMA 245 audio panel in my RV-14A. When it is powered up the Comm 1 audio, Comm 2 audio and Mic 2 are selected. What I would like for default is Comm 1 audio and Mic 1 selected. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

My setup is Dynon Skyview comm for #1 and Garmin 430W for Comm #2. I have reset the unit to factory defaults which had no effect.

Never seen that, I think it boots back up to whatever was selected at shutdown.

I have is set comm 1 audio and mic 1 on shut down. Does not boot back up that way.

Hmmm, I'll experiment with mine and see if I am in fact remembering correctly.

Perhaps a call to Garmin may be in order. Their customer service is usually pretty good. (surprised G3Xexpert hasn't commented yet)

I have called Garmin and they were stumped. The unit came without the latest firmware. Their suggestion was upgrade the firmware. I have tried twice to upgrade the firmware with no luck. Although it appears that the later firmware only fixes a Bluetooth issue.

I will try and confirm what mine does at startup today and get back to you. If the firmware didn't fix it I would say Garmin needs another call and insist they make it right. These things are cheap enough that their customer service should swap a unit with you at the least.

COM SWAP Discrete Input

Hi Tommy,

Do you have a switch wired up for COM SWAP (Pin 20 on P2402)? You would see this behavior if that input was stuck in the active state. If there is a pin assigned there, you could extract the pin to confirm the desired behavior returns, and then troubleshoot the wiring/switch to correct the issue.

Thanks,

Justin

Try this

I played with mine and this is what I found.

It will boot up in the last position, Com 1, or Com2, but I have to leave it on for at least in that position for a min of 5 seconds before I shut it off. If I change it, then shut it off right away, it will go back to the previous one.

Put it on Com 1, wait for over 5 seconds before you shut it off, then turn it back on after a few more seconds and see if it boots up in Com 1.

I tried 1-4 seconds and it did not change to Com 1 on boot up, but did after 5 seconds. Never hurts to try that before you have to tear into the wiring. You might want to pull out the 245 and take a phone shot of the connector to see if you have a pin in pin 20 on P2402 also before you tear into the wiring.

Good luck.

Brian

Okay just checked, mine does in fact boot on the last selection on shutdown. I wasn't smart enough to count seconds before shutdown though so Brian's findings could add to it.

Justin

Pin 20 grounded was the problem. I had wired it to a switch on my stick that I thought was a momentary contact but turned out to be a toggle. I had never tested the flip/flop feature. Clipped the wire where they connected and problem fixed. Now that you are on a roll I have one more issue. When I try to upgrade the firmware all the lights across the top of the panel flash at once at about a one second frequency. instructions say the lights should flash from left to right showing the progress of the update. I reformatted the SD card twice. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for you input.

Try this

Out of the install manual.

5. The GMA 245 will begin checking the SD card for updated software.

a) Do not turn the GMA 245 off or remove power during the update process.

b) The top row of keys, from left to right, will indicate the progress of the update process.

c) If a problem is encountered during the update process, all keys on the top row will flash at a 1 Hz rate.

6. If a problem is encountered during the update process, follow the below steps for possible solutions.

a) Use the Pilot Knob to power cycle the GMA 245, then perform the process again.

b) Attempt to re-download the GMA 245 software to the PC, recreating the loader SD card, and perform the process again.

c) Recreate the loader card using the recommended Sandisk® brand 4GB SD card, and attempt the update process again.

d) If still having difficulty performing the update, contact Garmin Aviation Technical support.

OK, in step 5(b), it says blinking left to right. You are correct in that. You are getting step 5(c), which means a problem updating.

You have tried doing step 6(a) and (b), so first are you using the recommended ScanDisk 4GB SD card? If not, at least try another 4GB SD card, then a ScanDisk branded SD card. Sometimes a single SD card can be PITA.

If not, then try step 6(d) and contact Garmin Tech support.

Good luck.

Brian

Also

You may try formatting the sd card, too. The garmin units also seem finicky about the format especially if done on a Mac; I have had a brand new sd card not work, formatted on a Mac and not work. I then located an ancient pc laptop, formatted the card, and it worked…

Back