What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VA-168 sender mount orientation

N546RV

Well Known Member
See attached plans details. Anyone have an idea why the OP drawings call for this to be mounted vertically for an injected engine, but horizontally for a carbureted one? I've got the hardware for the vertical mount, but it seems to me that it'd be simpler to do the horizontal mount - then I can use the existing firewall angle for support instead of having to fab the additional stiffener.

Basically, before I order the necessary fittings and see about mounting this horizontally, is there some detail here that I'm missing regarding the orientation? I don't see how anything on the engine could possibly interfere.

Attachments

• OP34 RV8 IO-360.jpg
    OP34 RV8 IO-360.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 126
  • OP35 RV-8 320-360 Fwl Layout.jpg
    OP35 RV-8 320-360 Fwl Layout.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 113
Most common maintenance task is changing the oil filter. Bear this in mind when picking orientation of this manifold, you don't want a bunch of easily damaged sensors blocking access for big hands & wrenches...

On my injected engine, I have the manifold mounted horizontally. I will do it again the same way.

One manifold port is used for the fuel pressure transducer. Two manifold ports are used for the oil pressure, and the two ports are connected by a "U" shaped jumper tube. One port has the oil pressure transducer, the other has a pressure switch to turn on the Hobbs meter.

My oil filter is on a 90-degree adapter on the accessory case of the engine, lots of clearance to any of this stuff.

Last edited:
Back