What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cloveland or Matco?

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
view

Cleveland system or Matco..Got to replace O rings on pistons..

Shows how much builder documentation I have..

Matco are yellow brass color. Looks like Cleveland, very likely this

Attachments

• 89CD46B6-971D-4357-BF0D-F70D98B66787.png
    89CD46B6-971D-4357-BF0D-F70D98B66787.png
    394.2 KB · Views: 88
view

Cleveland system or Matco..Got to replace O rings on pistons..

Shows how much builder documentation I have..

My hunch is your caliper came out of cavity 6 of mold K90.

Here is a photo of Cleveland 30-9 calipers. Ref the PN on the adhered label. Note mine have the same "AWB 16 ink stamp as yours, dunno what that means.

Is that the ID label seen peeling up in your photo?

Attachments

• TimePhoto_20230103_123756.jpg
    TimePhoto_20230103_123756.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
What caliper? And other brake questions.....

My hunch is your caliper came out of cavity 6 of mold K90.
Here is a photo of Cleveland 30-9 calipers. Ref the PN on the adhered label. Note mine have the same "AWB 16 ink stamp as yours, dunno what that means.
Is that the ID label seen peeling up in your photo?

I think the AWB might be an inspection stamp. Mine (from the mid '90's) is AWB 41 from mold 508.

Yes: you might look at the AFT part of the brake caliper as the label looks like it still might be stuck on there telling you model, date of manufacture and what brand. They look like Parker/Cleveland

Here's another question, one that I've toyed with myself: should I replace the brake fluid I've had in this airplane (and every other airplane I've owned) for decades with the new higher-temperature 782 (MJL-PRE-83282) per the service letter 0047-R1? That "O" ring that it mentions as a wider temperature-tolerant material seems to be applicable to the RV-12 in this letter even though the letter states: all aircraft. What calipers does that new "O" ring fit? I am draining brake lines to replace hoses and likely will go with the old standard once again. How frequent are brake line fires.....? Hmmmmmmmmmmm:confused:

... What calipers does that new "O" ring fit?...

Vans Viton GLT (good for low temperature) orings:

Van's PN U-00015-1 is size -218 for Cleveland 30-9 and Grove 30-1 calipers.

Van's PN U-00025 is size -222 for Matco WHLBE5 and Grove 30-4 calipers.

Van's PN U-00026 is size -224 for Cleveland 30-59A or Grove 36-2 calipers. These are RV-10 calipers.

What I don't see at Van's is a size -214 for the Grove 31-3 dual piston calipers recommended by Grove for for 6/7/8 -A models.

Here's another question, one that I've toyed with myself: should I replace the brake fluid I've had in this airplane (and every other airplane I've owned) for decades with the new higher-temperature 782 (MJL-PRE-83282) per the service letter 0047-R1?

There's no downside. Upside is a much higher flash point.

How frequent are brake line fires.....?

Bet you didn't ask that before you bought a fire extinguisher.

Replacing brake fluid and "O" rings

There's no downside. Upside is a much higher flash point.

Actually, I had ordered a can of 782 and new "O" rings from Vans soon after I posted that. It would make no sense to have the system completely apart and NOT replace the "O" rings and, while at it, the brake fluid. I do not have enough in my quart bottle of the old fluid to redo the system in SuzieQ so I was going to have to order more anyway. Order placed. Rebuilding the system has been added to the To Do list!:)

Back