What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

torque wrench

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Van's lists the torque values for various bolt sizes, with the smallest (an AN3 bolt) requiring 20-25 in lbs of torque. The lowest torque wrench range I have found in in. lbs is 25 (a 25-200 in lb Craftsman wrench). Would this be appropriate for any bolts I will have to use in the project? Is it OK that it starts at the upper range of Van's suggested numbers? This is a $90 torque wrench--and I certainly don't want to spend too much (if any) more--but does anyone have any other suggestions if I need to find one with a lower range?

Thanks.
Steve

I'm no expert, but remember that you're supposed to factor in the amount of torque required to turn before tightening down. So, for example (I'm pulling these out of the air), if it takes 5 inch-pounds to turn a bolt in a nutplate, and the -3 bolt you're torquing requires 20-25 inchpounds, you should actually be torquing between 25-30 inch-pounds, so you're not really torquing to the minimum required value.

Torquing sucks

Everytime I read about torquing my head hurts. Apparently I have to calculate the amount of force required to turn before tightening, the amount of force after tightening. The day of the week. The condition of the Pope and the number worn by Randy Moss. :D

You mean that if the little pointer reads 23 on my cheap torque wrench, these pieces might fall apart and I'll fall from the sky? So what SHOULD the thing read?

Also, does anyone know of a torque wrench out there that isn't the size of a small Subaru?

BC

I've been using the Craftsman torque wrench. It seems to work fine. I set it for 25 lb-in for the AN3 bolts, a few more clicks if I'm using a crow's foot. You'll notice that all of the torques are quoted as a range. I take that to mean you don't have to be precise down to the 0.001 of a lb-in on every bolt in the plane.

Back