What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Specialties Oil Thermostat Install

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Have a question on routing the oil line from the thermostat to the co-pilot side of the oil cooler. If I route it per the AS instruction, it is virtually touching the muffler exhaust pipe from the #3 cylinder. Does anyone have a suggestion and/or photos?

Marty
I have the same problem. Was able to tie-wrap the hose up against a coolant hose and get some clearance. A better solution was had by another RV-12 here. He routed that co-pilot side oil line down the middle parallel to the oil crankcase oil return hose. There is not a lot of space there either but his AS kit did have the integrated fire sleeve which is significantly smaller in OD than the standard fire sleeve.

That hose is about 43.250 long. Routing should be clear of everything, as shown in the install guide. Perhaps routing it slightly different in you plane can help the clearance. IF not, let us know and we'll take care of you.
Tom

how I routed mine

I had the right line push up against the #3 exhaust pipe when the cooler lifted into position with the lower cowl on. It looked fine when the cowl was off. The hose got burned on the silicone down to the metal braid. Steve at Aircraft Specialties Flightlines, replaced it no charge, great company!

This is my current routing, it is working fine.

The green line follows the right cooler line.

right cooler line 1.jpg

right cooler line 2.jpg

right cooler line 3.jpg

right cooler line 4.jpg

I hope this helps someone.

Back