What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax engine

Rotax engines are build in Austria. Brought to Oregon and than shipped back to me to Europe.

I can buy the engine from an official dealer in Germany. Faster delivery, cheaper and much less costs of transportation.

What items do I miss from the engine package from VAN’s? Can I order missing items needed to install the engine in my RV12is from VAN’s?
Is the engine itself in any way modified by VAN?

I realise that by going that route the plane can no longer qualify as official light aircraft

Consider UL

Peter, UL engines are air cooled, direct drive, several thousand dollars cheaper and built in Belgium. Ray Lawrence has motor mounts and cowls already made, plus it’s 130 H.P.

Regards,

This question pops up from time to time. The Van’s power plant kit is complete. It includes engine,prop, engine mount all hardware, oil tank, oil cooler, voltage regulator etc. You are not just buying an engine.
I guess you might save a bit on shipping dealing direct, but make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
Cheers DaveH

I also enquired about doing this with Vans when I ordered my powerplant kit and they can delete the core 912 engine from the kit and provide all the other firewall forward/PP kit components, but the package price was cheaper than me buying the 912 engine locally and the remainder of the kit from Vans, so I ended up ordering all of it from them in the end.

Back