What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for help with climbing in/out of a 12

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
My wife has severe osteo arthritis. For example, she can barely climb into our Wrangler which is actually about 2" lower than most of them, by choice. I wanted to buy a Yukon or Tahoe and she can't get in or out in a way that she feels safe with, even with the automatic running board steps.

With that background, does anyone have suggestions for how she can be a passenger my the 12 that I will probably buy tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.

The airplane, flight manual has boarding suggestions but she may also need a small step stool to help with the first step off of the ground. Obviously,
it would be taken with the passenger on the flight.

Last edited:
H,

Thanks!

"The Range Kleen 2-Step Camp Step is ideal for taking along in the RV..."

This site has the best price.

https://www.campingworld.com/range-kleen-camp-step-124706.html

Also listed elsewhere as Range Kleen Pet Steps

It has two steps, each the same height as two standard stair treads. It folds flat 22" square.

Video here
https://www.chewy.com/range-kleen-foldable-dog-car-stairs/dp/206092

Good luck on your possible purchase!

Chuck

Excellent! Now I have to convince her to try it. Many thanks.

"The Range Kleen 2-Step Camp Step is ideal for taking along in the RV..."

I have this step at the hanger. Used it today even. I try to keep my weight in the middle as I have had it collapse when stepping near the edge of the top step with a little side load. I carefully guide the less than agile when using it.

I don't have any specific suggestions except to say - think out of the box. I have a Bonanza and read somewhere that the best way to enter it is facing AFT. I tried it a couple of times and it makes so much sense and is so much easier I have never gone back to the old/traditional way.

I have a similar issue with my wife. As long as we have the Cherokee she can manage. Someday I’ll probably fly light sport exclusively, and then I will consider a high wing design that is easier to enter and exit.

Ingress/Egress

I have a similar issue with my wife. As long as we have the Cherokee she can manage. Someday I’ll probably fly light sport exclusively, and then I will consider a high wing design that is easier to enter and exit.

Main reason for my interest in the RV15, although not sure I have enough time left to order/wait/build/fly w/insurance. :eek:

My knees are making it hard to climb out of the RV12. Need suggestions from all.

My technique for getting out of the RV-12 doesn’t involve much knee strength. There’s no direct standing up… Basically, push down with hands to lift your butt up, sit yourself on side longeron, swing outboard leg down to side step, then swing inboard leg down to side step, and finally just step forward and onto the ground.

Picture (video) is worth a 1000 words….

https://youtu.be/DtU0JE5L2RE

To get out: Use your legs and arms to rise up to more or less sit on the top of the seat back area. Then swing your outboard leg up and over the cockpit rail and then sit on the side rail. Then swing your inboard leg up and over the side rail and then gracefully slide down the leading edge (no need to use the step). ‘Tis a thing of beauty to behold when artfully performed.

Back