What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings or fuselage first?

After waiting a for a year the wings and fuselage kits will arrive in September. I plan to start with the wings. Is that the best sequence?
I will prime all the hidden or covered parts. Is it possible to prime the fuselage after most of it is put together?

Depends on storage facilities.

The tail and the tadpole (pollywog) can stay separate for a long time - saves space. If you have room to store, do the wings first, then as the front comes together, the tailcone gets put on, you are almost done. Means you can delay the expensive stuff until later in the build.

Prime the inside of all panels as you go, leave the outside bare - ignore scratches. Your painter will use his own chemistry when the time is right. We flew ours off in bare metal primarily because they were to be sold, also in case there were any modifications needed - only a tiny flaperon squeeze.

The advantage for painting are the demountable wings !

Most of the work is in the fuselage.

I built the wings first, and I’m glad I did. The wings are large, and require very repetitive tasks. You will get those out of the way and store them in much less time than the fuselage. You can look at them, point at them, admire them,..while plowing through the fuse. They are impressive. Plus they don’t have the complicated “systems” the fuse does. The fuse is the bulk of the plane, IMHO. When the fuse is ready, you will want the wings already done, so you can install all those other complicated systems and go fly the dang thing!

:rolleyes:

I built the wings first and hung them up against my garage ceiling. Tap closed or screen openings to keep out birds, mice, etc.

Correct me if my memory is wrong but there are steps in the fuselage kit that require parts of the wings completed. Maybe not the whole kit but I thought there was some dependencies.

Correct me if my memory is wrong but there are steps in the fuselage kit that require parts of the wings completed. Maybe not the whole kit but I thought there was some dependencies.

The stub spars are required for fitting the receptacles in the fuselage, but you could just label them individually and fit them before wing completion. Since my wings were done, I just held the female receptacles up to the stub spars sticking out of the wing roots and fitted them. I think either way would work fine.

The sockets for the wing stub and rear spars are fitted to the completed spars on the wing. It will be more difficult to file the curve on the socket to match the spar end once the sockets are completed.

Back