What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly RV-12 in summer hot weather

Hi everyone, i`m Angel Galicia from Monterrey Mexico and next mont will be arriving the first RV-12 to the area, after 25 years this is my first time flying low wing aircraft and i have a couple of question for you....How do you do to fly in hot weather? (110 to 120 degrees) beside the k shade there is something else to keep away cabin excessive heat? how do you warm up engine on summer sunny days? there is a way (fix) to redirect vents airflow to your body not only to the legs?

Thanks

Hi everyone, i`m Angel Galicia from Monterrey Mexico and next mont will be arriving the first RV-12 to the area, after 25 years this is my first time flying low wing aircraft and i have a couple of question for you....How do you do to fly in hot weather? (110 to 120 degrees) beside the k shade there is something else to keep away cabin excessive heat? how do you warm up engine on summer sunny days? there is a way (fix) to redirect vents airflow to your body not only to the legs?

Thanks
Read your Rotax engine Owners Manual.... There are some ambient air temp engine limitations in running.

Also, If you have the RV-12 and not the RV-12 IS, you WILL have oil temperature problems with overheating with the Rotax 912 ULS motor within 1500 ti 2000 ft AGL on climb out.
It will require either a $1900 new exhaust system from Van's aircraft that reroutes the muffler further away from the oil cooler, or, you will have to do some fiberglass work and mount the oil cooler further forward of the muffler in the lower engine cowling and add some oil line length possibly.

I would strongly recommend, for your climate and heat, getting a RV-12 IS instead. It doesn't have these problems.

You will, however, be roasting like a fried egg, inside that canopy in those temperatures. Get a Canopy shade. 30C air temps on the ground is my personal limit, even with a canopy . Hotter than that, I just have to get up earlier to go fly. Fly as early in the morning as you can, and be on the ground by 12 noon local time, or earlier.

Last edited:
If your cranking up at 100F+, you will probably be up to operating temp by the time you're ready to take off without needing sit still while it warms up. You won't want to waste any time tinkering around with non-essential things after you crank up. I normally keep the canopy cracked open and laying on the latch until I'm ready to take off. Once in the air the side vents really shoot a lot of air into the cockpit. During climb out you will want to monitor temps and reduce power and climb rate if needed. I live in Texas and 6500/7500 ft is your friend during the hot summer! Early morning or late afternoon for pattern work!

Last edited:
I have a legacy design RV-12 and experience the same issue in Phoenix summers. I trimmed the lower aft edge of my cowl to increase cooling airflow to the engine. I fly early in the morning before it gets ridiculously hot. I do my post preflight checks while taxiing to the active runway to get off the ground without delay, so my engine doesn’t have a chance to heat up too much. Finally, I step climb to altitude leveling off every 2000 ft and throttling back to 4600 RPM to allow the engine to cool off.

Read your Rotax engine Owners Manual.... There are some ambient air temp engine limitations in running.

Also, If you have the RV-12 and not the RV-12 IS, you WILL have oil temperature problems with overheating with the Rotax 912 ULS motor within 1500 ti 2000 ft AGL on climb out.
It will require either a $1900 new exhaust system from Van's aircraft that reroutes the muffler further away from the oil cooler, or, you will have to do some fiberglass work and mount the oil cooler further forward of the muffler in the lower engine cowling and add some oil line length possibly.

The engine operating temperatures it does not worry me..... i know how to manage the Rotax on this extreme conditions..... my worry it is me and the fried passanger! Has anyone tried something to block UV rays?

If your cranking up at 100F+, you will probably be up to operating temp by the time you're ready to take off without needing sit still while it warms up. You won't want to waste any time tinkering around with non-essential things after you crank up. I normally keep the canopy cracked open and laying on the latch until I'm ready to take off. Once in the air the side vents really shoot a lot of air into the cockpit. During climb out you will want to monitor temps and reduce power and climb rate if needed. I live in Texas and 6500/7500 ft is your friend during the hot summer! Early morning or late afternoon for pattern work!

Jrock we are limited to 5,000 ft around the airfield, early morning will be the best option.

I have a legacy design RV-12 and experience the same issue in Phoenix summers. I trimmed the lower aft edge of my cowl to increase cooling airflow to the engine. I fly early in the morning before it gets ridiculously hot. I do my post preflight checks while taxiing to the active runway to get off the ground without delay, so my engine doesn’t have a chance to heat up too much. Finally, I step climb to altitude leveling off every 2000 ft and throttling back to 4600 RPM to allow the engine to cool off.

Rfschaller what is the max rpm seting on your rotax?

When I built my -12, Flight Line Interiors offered tinted vinyl “window clings”, which are easily stuck on the canopy interior for spot blocking of sunlight. About 8” X 10” squares. I have mine on opposite sides of the canopy to block wing reflection. I don’t see these offered any longer, but there are plenty of other sources out there for this material. Maybe cut a couple of panels that can be moved to the desired position? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Jrock we are limited to 5,000 ft around the airfield, early morning will be the best option.

I wasn't suggesting staying "around an airfield" at 6500/7500ft. Go somewhere! My home field is under Bravo, but after a short flight I'm free to climb to cooler altitudes.

Last edited:
I'm in Houston, and we've seen a string of 100 F days here lately. When I first got my RV-12iS I was concerned about heat in the cockpit, but it's not been a serious issue. I do have a Koger shade.

Yes, on the ground with the canopy closed, it gets mighty warm. I just spend as little time as possible with it closed before takeoff, and fly as early in the day as I can.

Once airborne, the airflow thru the vents is strong and is a blessing. Above 2500-3000 ft AGL the temps cool down significantly. Only once, a couple years ago, did I get even close to high oil temps on the ground.

Time of year you fly and altitude you fly at is important to Outside Air Temperatures.

Where I fly, summer time often comes with temperature inversions that rise up to 5500 ft AGL . You go up and the temp is not dropping, it's rising. This goes on June, sometimes into November, every year.

I'm in Houston, and we've seen a string of 100 F days here lately. When I first got my RV-12iS I was concerned about heat in the cockpit, but it's not been a serious issue. I do have a Koger shade.

Yes, on the ground with the canopy closed, it gets mighty warm. I just spend as little time as possible with it closed before takeoff, and fly as early in the day as I can.

Once airborne, the airflow thru the vents is strong and is a blessing. Above 2500-3000 ft AGL the temps cool down significantly. Only once, a couple years ago, did I get even close to high oil temps on the ground.

I perform a test flight in 90 deg and it wasn`t that awkward.

Back