What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Software downloads for the 10

dmattmul

Well Known Member
I just finished installing the canopy ajar software for the 14. I thought it was very well done. Originally just used the G3X standard software and worked but the software written for the 14 by Vans? is better. Question - with the known door issues on the 10 has anyone written software that mimics the 14 software? (Or improved on the door latch software) I realize the 14 is a newer development but seems the 10 has more issues than a 14. I don't think it is even possible to loose a canopy of a 14 in flight but have not tried to unlatch to see. Having a verbal warning that the doors are not latched properly when the RPM exceeds 1,700 RPM is pretty nice. I'd use the 14 software, but it's labeled "Canopy Ajar" (Or something like that) and the voice warning also references canopy. I'm not a programmer (Obviously) but in a pinch might use it. Since it's a .gca file I can't change the nomenclature in the GEA 24 discrete set-up page.

I just finished installing the canopy ajar software for the 14. I thought it was very well done. Originally just used the G3X standard software and worked but the software written for the 14 by Vans? is better. Question - with the known door issues on the 10 has anyone written software that mimics the 14 software? (Or improved on the door latch software) I realize the 14 is a newer development but seems the 10 has more issues than a 14. I don't think it is even possible to loose a canopy of a 14 in flight but have not tried to unlatch to see. Having a verbal warning that the doors are not latched properly when the RPM exceeds 1,700 RPM is pretty nice. I'd use the 14 software, but it's labeled "Canopy Ajar" (Or something like that) and the voice warning also references canopy. I'm not a programmer (Obviously) but in a pinch might use it. Since it's a .gca file I can't change the nomenclature in the GEA 24 discrete set-up page.

Personally, I think the planearound third latch should be standard required equipment on the -10. Using this latch makes it virtually impossible to not latch the door correctly. Couple that with the magnetic switches connected to an alert of some kind (I used the g3x) makes it nearly idiot proof. No programming required…

+2

Have installed the Plane Around cam lock system already and yes looks good. I realize we all aren't gadget people but just in case one fails to engage the pins and if one does not see the visual que on your EFIS having an audible that comes on at 1,700 RPM or higher (Lower than the mag check) that says "Warning Door Ajar, Warning Door Ajar) especially since the software has already been written for the 14 (Canopy Open, Canopy Open) seems OK. I realize some will say if a PIC misses locking the doors and doesn't see the EFIS screen alarm one should stop flying but adding one more layer of redundancy for the price of a little code seems worth it. Just FYI the file for the 14 is called "Canopy Warning R2.gca" and available in the downloads section as a zip file in the 14 section (It's a very small file but the documentation comes with that is also in the zip file) It would be applicable to anyone using an alarm switch on their canopies. Available for Skyview and the Garmin G3X systems.

There isn't any "RV10 specific software", but you mentioned the G3X. It wasn't clear if you were already using the feature, but you can use microswitches on the door pins and feed them to a G3X discrete input. Then define the discrete input as "canopy". I have a microswitch installed on all 4 door pins, as well as a 5th microswitch on the baggage door. If any of those switches are open, it's wired to send the discrete input on the G3X to ground (so the input is set to "trigger low")

When you do that, at idle RPMs, if the door pins aren't engaged, you get a yellow caution CAS message on the G3X.

If the door pin still isn't engaged and you throttle up, the CAS message goes to a red warning message with an audible alert.

I have mine set to display "Door Open", but I don't recall if that is the default message or if I changed it.

Back