What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mattituck TMX IO-390 AD?******

Hey all - i'm looking at a 7 that has a Mattituck TMX IO-390, the engine was built in 2007. I was just told about the AD that was issued about the cylinders needing to replaced? I've been trying to find as much info as I cant find anything about the 390.

How can I tell if this engine is part of the AD? The cylinders have NOT been replaced.

Thank you everyone for all the help and support so far

TMX AD

That AD covered a lot of engine types but wasn’t directed at the TMX specifically but rather the ECI cylinders they used and when they were manufactured.
Some needed replacement after 600 hours or so and other only needed special inspections for cracks at their bases depending on which batch in which they were made. I have one myself and your post really woke up my memory that I need to address this issue. I don’t have the specifics but do a search on ECI cylinder AD’s and it should pop up. As I recall I think there was some ruling change on the original AD also.
Also do a search TMX cylinder AD search right here on this forum. There’s tons of info. Also check the engine log book if you can and possibly it has the cylinder serial numbers which determine which group A or B they’er in.

Last edited:
Sean,

Send me your email address via a PM and I'll send you a copy of the ECI Service Bulletin and AD. The SB will explain the issue in detail

IO-390 cylinder assemblies

Lycoming is the only manufacturer of the IO-390 cylinder assemblies. I do believe that Mattituck used to take some of the Lyocming IO-360 kits and install ECI cylinder assemblies on them, however.

Back