What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Rear seat display

Pixair

Just wondering out loud.

Has anybody mounted a Dynon or Garmin style flat panel display behind the pilot seat, so the back seater has instruments, in a RV-8/8A?

Looks like a Skyview HDX might fit there with out much issue, mounted to the seat back cross bar.

Cheaper option might be a 7” IPad bluetoothed from the front. Data is only GPS but fine for general use and the can split it with the ForeFlight map.

Maybe G3Xpert can weigh in but...

I don't see why the G3X doesn't have the ability to Bluetooth it's data to an iPad as a repeater display for the backseat. The information is readily available, just send the data to the iPad.

I don't want my back seater to have to rely on GPS data when Air Data should be so easily available.

Currently the only option for a true aft cockpit display is to wire up a G3X to the aft setback. Danny King did that in his -8, and has a thread on here documenting it from a while back.

It can be done

With very little effort and is pretty straight forward. Here are shots of mine (flying now). I did install an independent shutoff switch so it could be disabled if not used or abused.

First shot is the mock up and second is live. I did do some minor adjustments later, but it works well. Very convenient to have the GIB handle the radios, watch for traffic, change squawk....or just fly the plane without having to look over the shoulder.

Attachments

• Mock up.jpg
    Mock up.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 403
  • Live.jpg
    Live.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 1,039
RV8 BackSeat Display

I have a 7" display in my RV8 BackSeat as shown Below, it is fully connected via CANBUS to my front display so can navigate, access attitude and engine data, display Aircraft cameras, has full moving map, etc. Unit only needs Power and CANBUS connection, so wiring is simple. What is of note is the way I installed it (Leg Cut Outs) so climbing in/out of the RV8 Back Seat is still humanely possible for adults.

Also shown below is Vern Littles displays that can process several EFIS data out formats, based on an Arduino CPU), of note here is that these displays can can cycle through multiple data display options as shown (not single purpose) just using the G3x data.
>> http://www.huvver.tech/arduino-libraries/

M5 Stack Displays as shown can be found at

>>https://www.amazon.com/M5Stack-ESP3...onics&sprefix=m5+stick,electronics,127&sr=1-5

Larger displays using same Software and other products can be found at https://store.makerplane.org/

We also have a HUD project that can be used to display G3x data (& other EFIS Formats as well) on a small computer display (including touch screen) based on a Raspberry Pi CPU. Using this display option allows you to design your own display format.

Attachments

• Rear_DIsplay Small.jpg
    Rear_DIsplay Small.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 479
  • Verns Displays.png
    Verns Displays.png
    319.8 KB · Views: 420
Thanks

Thanks for the input.

Confirmed that a fully functional rear seat display is feasible and should not be too difficult to install.

Add another project to the list. Will try to remember to post pictures when done.

I also have a G3X Display in the back. Also a Flap Switch is mounted there so a Passenger / Copilot can fly from the rear. In case I fly with a child I have a switch in the front to disable all the stick and flap switch functions.

I used some 4130 flat material and welded it to the rollbar. Then I made a panel which screws into the flat material which also acts a a spacer for the seatbelts of the Pilot. Works quite well and if I fly with a pilots frined he can adapt the flightplan, switch frequencies and use the autopilot. I would do it again.

Pictures can be seen here:
https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1461235&postcount=835

Cheers Yves

I use the KISS method if someone wants to 2E413FE3-9F80-40CE-9E69-EA2C1A97E4A4.pnglook at gauges from the back.
Classic Gyro, free on the App Store��

Yet Another Approach

Just wondering out loud.

Has anybody mounted a Dynon or Garmin style flat panel display behind the pilot seat, so the back seater has instruments, in a RV-8/8A?

Looks like a Skyview HDX might fit there with out much issue, mounted to the seat back cross bar.

???? Can anyone tell me why the photos are not showing here? I went back and I THINK, followed instructions to the letter. Assistance in finding the error of my ways is much appreciated. ???

Not Dynon nor Garmin, but here is something I got working last night for almost "no cost" :) ...
[I already had bought the iLevil as my ADSB receiver to provide weather and traffic to my GRT HXr and had the iPad for multiple uses.]

AM-JKLUw9dPKbdsH4ql3055XhY5T7B3sp-mGuE-ee-ze-tgjQoDeT73Rv-bXcMirSlKj53BuWFbPsOunB2pke1gMFvH1opKSpdP30vvm4Vt3Aol4Bd3jYpvrvkmfracKgLhV8lnG_PvKQADz0R1_suh7hWyNqA=w800-h600-no

AM-JKLV7uYAOrQ7mk8ga7OmCne73PfpqFtEX1x00y-VIcML6JuRJNu8PBAYa-QmHSWoO-bbliCn1NGQOiRvnHLPUticeJ4o83hcDwBIRGgHVnPPV6HaXpoLbQpOpfOeAa3Kpsu22J3Vcneuz5tv_yAZ9NBajYQ=w1600-h1200-no

PFD provided by iLevil App on iPad with WiFi data from ILevil 3AW using built in AHRS, Pitot and Static ports
ENG provided by iLevil App on iPad with WiFi data from iLevil 3AW using engine data from GRT Engine monitor via serial port to ILevil 3AW
MAP provided by Foreflight on iPad
TRAFFIC and WEATHER ADSB data provided to Foreflight via WiFi from the iLevil 3AW.

The mounting (RAM Mount) is not perfectly aligned yet but will get corrected.
There are NO WIRES to the back seat (unless you choose to connect a charging cable to the charging port on the right side).

Yes, there is adequate stick clearance and no interference with passenger in back seat.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NH65f8Y3kugmvTtdA

Last edited:
My images did not appear. What did I do wrong?

I know that at the end was just a link but I came back later and did "Insert Image" using link for each image.

I must have missed the class and not done my homework on getting pictures to work. :)

THANKS to anyone who can inform me or fix for me.

Here is a picture of a Garmin G5 that I installed for the back seat occupant on my RV8 with a fastback conversion. It's in the very initial stages of the fitout in the photo and I subsequently trimmed away the .063 aluminium so that there's no loss of view. It's secured with double sided tape and cable ties to preserve the integrity of the roll bar. I measured very carefully and it doesn't impinge on the front seat at all and the knobs miss the gas struts on the canopy. I went for the G5 because I thought that a bigger display set lower might not work so well. But seeing some of the other good looking setups on the thread, I might have been mistaken and that might have been a better way to go. The disadvantage is that as backup instrument it needs it's own pitot and static connections but it does work well and talks to the G3X up the front without issue. I had hoped that I could configure it to repeat the airspeed and altitude from the front but that's not the way it worked.

Attachments

• 20220424_143048.jpg
    20220424_143048.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 257
???? Can anyone tell me why the photos are not showing here? I went back and I THINK, followed instructions to the letter. Assistance in finding the error of my ways is much appreciated. ???

Not Dynon nor Garmin, but here is something I got working last night for almost "no cost" :) ...
[I already had bought the iLevil as my ADSB receiver to provide weather and traffic to my GRT HXr and had the iPad for multiple uses.]

AM-JKLUw9dPKbdsH4ql3055XhY5T7B3sp-mGuE-ee-ze-tgjQoDeT73Rv-bXcMirSlKj53BuWFbPsOunB2pke1gMFvH1opKSpdP30vvm4Vt3Aol4Bd3jYpvrvkmfracKgLhV8lnG_PvKQADz0R1_suh7hWyNqA=w800-h600-no

AM-JKLV7uYAOrQ7mk8ga7OmCne73PfpqFtEX1x00y-VIcML6JuRJNu8PBAYa-QmHSWoO-bbliCn1NGQOiRvnHLPUticeJ4o83hcDwBIRGgHVnPPV6HaXpoLbQpOpfOeAa3Kpsu22J3Vcneuz5tv_yAZ9NBajYQ=w1600-h1200-no

PFD provided by iLevil App on iPad with WiFi data from ILevil 3AW using built in AHRS, Pitot and Static ports
ENG provided by iLevil App on iPad with WiFi data from iLevil 3AW using engine data from GRT Engine monitor via serial port to ILevil 3AW
TRAFFIC and WEATHER ADSB data provided to Foreflight via WiFi from the iLevil 3AW.

There are NO WIRES to the back seat (unless you choose to connect a charging cable to the charging port on the right side).

Yes, there is adequate stick clearance and no interference with passenger in back seat.

See call for help above regarding getting (Google) photos to show up.
Thanks.

Here are your two pics:

AM-JKLUw9dPKbdsH4ql3055XhY5T7B3sp-mGuE-ee-ze-tgjQoDeT73Rv-bXcMirSlKj53BuWFbPsOunB2pke1gMFvH1opKSpdP30vvm4Vt3Aol4Bd3jYpvrvkmfracKgLhV8lnG_PvKQADz0R1_suh7hWyNqA=w800-h600

AM-JKLV7uYAOrQ7mk8ga7OmCne73PfpqFtEX1x00y-VIcML6JuRJNu8PBAYa-QmHSWoO-bbliCn1NGQOiRvnHLPUticeJ4o83hcDwBIRGgHVnPPV6HaXpoLbQpOpfOeAa3Kpsu22J3Vcneuz5tv_yAZ9NBajYQ=w800-h600

Thank you very much!!

But what did you do differently?

I want to know "how to fish".

I clearly missed something and it is probably right before my eyes. :)

Thank you very much!!

But what did you do differently?

I want to know "how to fish".

I clearly missed something and it is probably right before my eyes. :)

I deleted "-no?authuser=0" at the end of each pics address to get the them to show in the post.

I also rescaled the second pic to "w800-h600" from "w1600-h1200", which is too large IMO.

You can always see what someone has done in their post by using the "Quote" button to examine their post (but then backing out and not actually posting anything while in the "Quote" mode if you don't care to).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I deleted "-no?authuser=0" at the end of each pics address to get the them to show in the post.

I also rescaled the second pic to "w800-h600" from "w1600-h1200", which is too large IMO.

You can always see what someone has done in their post by using the "Quote" button to examine their post (but then backing out and not actually posting anything while in the "Quote" mode if you don't care to).

Hope that helps.

AHA!!!!

I had rescaled one of the photos and forgot to do the other.

But I totally missed the deletion instruction.

Again, thanks! I will now try a few more pics.

Back