What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LS3 Engine Video

I watched that a few weeks ago. Unless I missed it they really didn’t give any performance data. Seemed it took a bit to get off the ground. Maybe it was a blazing Texas day.

Alternative engines

My opinion and observations: go alternative if you are a lifetime tinkerer or wannabe engineer/test pilot

If flying this lifetime is a goal, stick to Vans recommendations

Consider your passengers also. Three grand kids over the Grand Canyon with an LS? Not me!

I measured the takeoff run at around 23 seconds so it doesn't get off the runway quickly as stated in the video, in fact that's double what a good 540 powered -10 takes with 2 aboard and full fuel.

I don't believe the weight quoted here is the same as a 540 installation, likely at least 75 pounds heavier.

3000 hour TBO on engine and gearbox? I'd ask if a single example of each has ever gone that far. Doubtful.

Stuart should state the empty weight of this airplane and show us TAS vs. FF numbers in flight. I don't believe 20-30% less fuel burn at the same TAS as a 540. Prove me wrong.

Chuckle

As is almost always the case, the nay sayers are out in full force.

Is an alternative engine for most? Absolutely not, but then people put up the same old arguments about electronic fuel injection and ignition, too.

Change must begin somewhere; if one is averse to that change, stick with the tried and true. If you want to try something new go for it, with the knowledge that there will be substantial challenges and possible failures.

Those that opt for pushing the envelope are the ones that will eventually change the status quo; those who subscribe to the “that’s the way it’s always been done” will be forever followers…that’s fine.

As an engineer, I admire those willing to push forward…

As is almost always the case, the nay sayers are out in full force.

Those that opt for pushing the envelope are the ones that will eventually change the status quo; those who subscribe to the “that’s the way it’s always been done” will be forever followers…that’s fine.

As an engineer, I admire those willing to push forward…

As someone who's been flying an alt engine for 19 years and supplying advice and EFI systems for hundreds of them over the last 25 years, I wouldn't call myself a naysayer but I'm tired of folks making sensational claims without proof.

Stuart went to some trouble and time to put this vid together so why not take 2 more minutes and show us the weight, fuel burn and highest total time numbers instead of being vague about it? These are important criteria for builders considering alternative engines.

I've talked to Stuart (also an engineer) and know about some of the past issues with these conversions. Are all the old problems licked now?

Last edited:
As someone who's been flying an alt engine for 19 years and supplying advice and EFI systems for hundreds of them over the last 25 years, I wouldn't call myself a naysayer but I'm tired of folks making sensational claims without proof.

Stuart went to some trouble and time to put this vid together so why not take 2 more minutes and show us the weight, fuel burn and highest total time numbers instead of being vague about it? These are important criteria for builders considering alternative engines.

I've talked to Stuart (also an engineer) and know about some of the past issues with these conversions. Are all the old problems licked now?

This.....exactly. Ross always has good takes on these kinds of things.

From a non-expert perspective, I've seen Chevy engines run flawlessly on Wakeboard boats, pulling 3,000-4,000 rpm's under insane loads in 100 degree temps for hours on end.......I think it's very possible the LS3 could be a viable option for the RV10...BUT there needs to be much testing, data, and proving done.

Stuart seems like a smart guy and he may the application figured out- I expect he is working on getting the data everyone wants put together....and hopefully it's positive.

Maybe he goes next level and has a test pilot fly that RV10 full-time for a year.....if he can demonstrate problem free operations over 2,000+ hours I have a feeling a lot of people are going to give the LS3 option serious consideration.

BUT there needs to be much testing, data, and proving done.

Stuart seems like a smart guy and he may the application figured out- I expect he is working on getting the data everyone wants put together....and hopefully it's positive.

Maybe he goes next level and has a test pilot fly that RV10 full-time for a year.....if he can demonstrate problem free operations over 2,000+ hours I have a feeling a lot of people are going to give the LS3 option serious consideration.

Stuart is a smart guy but as you say here, claims must be backed up by real world numbers and flight time. When you are charging $45K for a FWF package it's a great idea to build a company demo plane and fly it LOTS, making some detailed vids showing ALL the numbers. Transparency here will sell packages if it's all good.

Projected TBOs are meaningless IMO. They must be demonstrated by actual flight time.

Companies can usually expense these costs as R&D and promotion.

Actually, Ross, I consider you as one of the leaders. I also agree that some verifiable performance numbers would be welcome.

Where I have an issue is when people make claims about perceived safety and question easily verifiable things like weight.

I also talk with Stuart at Oshkosh, and have since he acquired the company. I also spoke with the previous owner many times prior to Stuart.

My point is that just because one may be uncomfortable with an alternative engine or technology, that doesn't make it necessarily unsafe or uncomfortable for someone else...

My point is that just because one may be uncomfortable with an alternative engine or technology, that doesn't make it necessarily unsafe or uncomfortable for someone else...

Agreed. Some folks are fine to fly over the rocks at night single engine with their family and a Lycoming up front- but not me.

Last edited:
Back