What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Computer spreadsheet as airframe, engine, etc. log books?

Draker

Well Known Member
I’ve been using a computer spreadsheet as my builder log, and for continuity and simplicity’s sake I’d like to continue using it as my “log book” for ongoing maintenance once I’m flying. There does not seem to be any specific reg that requires me to have one or more physical books made of dead trees. In fact I understand the FAA does not use the term "log book" anywhere, they use the more vague “maintenance records". However, there are references to “name, signature, and certificate type and number,” and various maintenance steps and services (such as ELT registration, transponder test, FAA or DAR inspection) will result in a physical sticker meant for a paper book. The FAA or DAR may possibly want to write something into a physical book, too. I don’t know. So is there a realistic way of going all-electronic for maintenance records, or am I just giving myself headaches and setting landmines for myself later by trying?

There are a couple of good threads on this already but I don’t think they address the feasibility of having all-electronic records.

I fair amount of items require a signature so I'm not sure how that would work on an electronic document. As you mentioned, any shop doing any work will most likely issue a sticker as well which doesn't facilitate an electronic logbook. Perhaps some experts will be along shortly but to me it seems like it would create headaches for yourself.

As you probably know, with the exception of the things you listed (condition inspections, transponder inspections, etc) there is no requirement at all to keep records of "maintenance" on an EAB. Nonetheless, it's clearly good practice.
IMHO there is no prohibition on the required records being electronic. I'd make plans to scan written signatures into pdf or similar files. And keep backups. So I'm not sure about the convenience factor. But I think it's your choice.

For things like stickers from avionics shops, you could keep a (smaller) physical book to stick them in, and make a line in the electronic book referencing the entries in the physical one when appropriate.

Been doing electronic spreadsheet logs for almost 25-years.

The pilot log gets copied by hand into a pilot logbook. (spreadsheet does all the math) The spreadsheet looks just like the paper log.

The Airframe, Engine, Prop logs get printed out and have an ink signature added to it. I purchased an old "Aerorecord" logbook back before I had a flying airplane. My electronic log looks like the "Aerorecord" paper log that uses a 6-ring 5-1/2 x 8 pages.

Back