What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

14 kit conversion to 14A?

You would need to change engine mounts and either repair (plug gear leg holes) or replace engine cowl. Probably would need to replace anyway as the alignment probably would not work out. Change brake line routing. I don’t know if the tailwheel mount in the tail would cause a W&B issue. You will have a bump in the rudder bottom fairing that will look a bit odd as it will be up where you can see it. Bump is for tail spring clearance. You will need new wheels pants and gear leg fairing. Should be able to use same wheels and brakes.
Can be done but would take some work.

A buddy has a 14 and wanted to convert to an A.
Wait time for new mount and gear legs was so long he dropped the idea.

Short answer: Yes, not too hard especially if you don't have the finishing kit yet, I have a -14 empennage kit and the only thing I'm looking at is a tube with a tie-down hook to put in the tailwheel tube and cutting the fuselage skin for a main gear mount to convert to a -14A. If you have the finishing kit then yes, Ron B. has the answers. I had some of the same questions: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=204205

Back