-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:27 PM

Default Garmin G3x Touch panel - RV8 Options?

Looks like my AFS 4500 AHRS is toast, though it might be a simple magnetometer change. Either way, I've now decided to do a new panel in my RV8 come fall.

I'm going to go with a Garmin G3x Touch, and was wondering about options. I'm very behind the curve on all the glass gadgetry. I took 22 years off of aviation, and just came back last year, so all this new stuff is sorcery to me.

I see that I can use a 10" or 7" screen, and it looks like everything is basically a remotely mounted "module".

So I could remotely mount the radio and transponder, and eliminate them from the panel, right? They both could be controlled from the G3 screen? Any reason not to?

Will I need to keep my PS1000 Intercom?

For a GPS, I was thinking to mount an Aera 760 Touch vertically on the left. I'm open to suggestions here.

I've got a brand new Sandia 340 backup instrument I could mount right of the G3.

I'd like to get XM radio, and ADSB in/out.

I'm currently working on my IFR rating, though I don't foresee myself doing any flying in the soup in my 8 at this time. If that changes, what would I need to add to make this panel IFR certified?

Anything I'm missing here, or should add? Attached is a rough sketch of what I'm thinking, using an online panel designer.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV8 Garmin 10 glass.png
Views:	71
Size:	451.9 KB
ID:	26609  
Old 06-03-2022, 01:19 PM

When I spec'd my G3X, I tried to stay away from remote modules as much as possible; I found that the interfaces aren't as user friendly as the hardware option usually is. Transponder is fine, as it's mainly automatic these days. But I personally can't stand a comm radio that's not hardware based.

I had room for a 10" G3X, G5, Audio Panel, Comm Radio, GTN650, and autopilot on my panel.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moespeeds View Post
Looks like my AFS 4500 AHRS is toast, though it might be a simple magnetometer change. Either way, I've now decided to do a new panel in my RV8 come fall.

I'm going to go with a Garmin G3x Touch, and was wondering about options. I'm very behind the curve on all the glass gadgetry. I took 22 years off of aviation, and just came back last year, so all this new stuff is sorcery to me.

I see that I can use a 10" or 7" screen, and it looks like everything is basically a remotely mounted "module".

So I could remotely mount the radio and transponder, and eliminate them from the panel, right? They both could be controlled from the G3 screen? Any reason not to?

Will I need to keep my PS1000 Intercom?

For a GPS, I was thinking to mount an Aera 760 Touch vertically on the left. I'm open to suggestions here.

I've got a brand new Sandia 340 backup instrument I could mount right of the G3.

I'd like to get XM radio, and ADSB in/out.

I'm currently working on my IFR rating, though I don't foresee myself doing any flying in the soup in my 8 at this time. If that changes, what would I need to add to make this panel IFR certified?

Anything I'm missing here, or should add? Attached is a rough sketch of what I'm thinking, using an online panel designer.

TIA
Several of the traditionally panel mounted items can be remote mounted and controlled through the display as you mention
  • Transponder (GTX 35R or 45R)
  • COM Radio (GTR 20)
  • Audio Panel (GMA 245R)
  • Autopilot Controller (Can be controlled directly through the display)

The GMA 245R audio panel has a very nice interface through the display, as does the GTR 20. The GMA 245R would be required if you want 2 COM radios in the cockpit, in order to switch between the two separate COM transceivers. If you only want a single COM radio, you can do away with your current intercom, as the GTR radio's has a built in two place intercom

Some like to have a panel mounted COM #1, and a remote mounted COM #2, which is an option. The GTR 200 is the panel mounted version of the GTR 20 remote COM radio.

The G3X Touch display has a built in GPS receiver, so all you have to do is add an antenna to it and you will have GPS navigation for VFR use, no need for the Aera 760 in addition to the G3X Touch display for those purposes.

For ADS-B In and Sirius XM information, the GDL 52R would be a good choice. It is a remote mounted unit and connects directly to the display to send weather, traffic and music to the system.

For a basic IFR Navigator, you can add the GPS 175, which is a very basic IFR GPS navigation source.

One piece of equipment you may be interested in is the GNX 375. It provides the same IFR GPS Navigation ability as the GPS 175, and has a built in ADS-B In/Out transponder. In that case, you would not need the GTX 45R, and would only need the cheaper version of the GDL 52R, the GDL 51R, which is SiriusXM only, since the GNX 375 would be providing the ASD-B In information.

Please feel free to send any further questions to us directly at G3Xpert@Garmin.com.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:39 PM

One of my favorites. GTN650, com 2 remote mounted, G5 backup, ADS-B in/out via remote transponder, autopilot, etc..

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 06-03-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
One of my favorites. GTN650, com 2 remote mounted, G5 backup, ADS-B in/out via remote transponder, autopilot, etc..

My favorite, too, Walt. I hope you don’t mind but I copied it for my panel for the most part, except using GNX 375 instead of GTN 650. I couldn’t find a better laid out full IFR panel than this to my liking!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51B85FE5-3442-4454-A94D-197572E0F899.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	26620  

RV-3B Flying
Wagabond Flying
RV-8 Tail completed, QB Fuselage in progress
Old 06-03-2022, 06:41 PM

Thanks Robert, glad you're using it, standardization is a good thing.
The GTN series has a few things going for it especially if you are using the airplane to get your IFR rating in.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 06-03-2022, 07:03 PM

Moe, you would do well to consider Walt’s panel for inspiration as you go about your panel rebuild. My $ .02

RV-3B Flying
Wagabond Flying
RV-8 Tail completed, QB Fuselage in progress
Old 06-03-2022, 11:50 PM

My only suggestion based on your initial thinking is to ditch the idea of the Sandia Quattro 340 and go with a Garmin G5. I know you already have it in the box but do yourself a favor and put it up on eBay or Barnstormers. Reasoning?

1.) The Quattro 340 was a trail blazing instrument and very innovative. Unfortunately it is an unreliable backup attitude indicator. PM me for more information as I don't want this public thread to drift over to the 340 and Sandia is actually a really good company.

2.) The Garmin G5 is not only a reliable EFIS and attitude indicator it is a full G3X system backup where it can provide a complete air data computer/ADHARS platform for the G3X. In other words if the G3X primary ADHARS LRU goes down the system switches over to the G5 as a replacement and the G3X keeps on trucking on that data without going down. No other backup instrument can do that. Not even the newer GI 275.

The layout shown by Walt above is one of the best configurations. And very common in the RV-8. Many builders have gone round and round and many who want a G3X Touch IFR panel end up with something just like that. In my RV-8 I even went so far as to try to go with a GTN 750 rather than a GTN 650 but in the end the RV-8 panel ends up looking forced with that and the larger screen of the 750 isn't so important with a big screen G3X. If you nave aspirations of IFR flying then consider an approved WAAS navigator up front. Otherwise just use the internal VFR GPS in the G3X and go with a couple of comms like a GTR 200 and a GTR 20.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:41 AM

Default RV8 - Full Garmin G3X Suite

Here is another example..

Full layout details and schematics at Google link below

2016 182T N522CS
Home Airport B16.
EAA 486 @ KFZY...
2022 Dues Paid.

Build Log Link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XpkYCodwBCjAqeMb7

Last edited by laserman : 06-07-2022 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:58 PM

If you slide the G3X a bit to the right, you have room for a standard avionics rack, like Walt shows. Then you just have to decide how to load it (and, you can change it around later if you want) Plenty of room on the right for a standby.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0206 (1).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	26641  

N164WM RV-6A Slider/O-360/FP Sold 4/2022
N184WM (RV-8) Final stages. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB) Empennage