Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2022, 06:07 AM

Default GD-40

We installed a GD-40 in the -10 and have it wired into the audio panel for audible alerts and the Dynon as well so it pops up an alert on the screens. There is also a red warning led on the panel and a reset/test button. I had an experience in a van that had an exhaust leak. Started feeling not well and layed down in the back row that I had all to myself. Well no one knew but it had an exhaust leak and a bug had crawled into one of the floor drains and died, sticking the drain open. The symptoms are very hard to pinpoint as it’s such an uncommon thing to happen. Of course a co detector is a waste of time and money……….until you need it!
Currently building the -8
www.N7ZK.com
"How's it feel to be the fastest plane in the sky? You were spanking two Cirrus planes, a Mooney, and another plane. I took screen shots" - Quote from the best wife in the world.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:26 AM

I have had a GUARDIAN CO Detector wired to my DYNON SkyView since 2012 so no whining about it for me. The visual alarm activates the master caution while the audio alarm is hardwired into my intercom. You can see the module next to the Co-Pilot display on my panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Panel 2021.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	21342

2022 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 01-23-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:02 AM

Default Oshkosh Talk

I listened to the Hypoxia talk at Oshkosh 2021, it was very informative.

One thing I didn't know is that the onset of hypoxia from CO posioningcannot be self diagnosed.

If one thinks they will be able to tell if they are having the early symptoms and be able to open up a vent and prevent hypoxia, the real life data does not show this. I think the euphoria one gets during the early stages overwhelms the ability to self detect. One thing his data showed is that the blood oxygen saturation level goes UP with the onset of hypoxia due to CO causing false readings. In fact, the suggestion was made that a higher than normal blood oxygen level may be an early sign of hypoxia. JMHO.

Corrected: normal hypoxia can be noticed and treated if personnal symptons are recognized. But CO poisoning will come on without warning.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done
Fiberglass 90%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 01-23-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:07 AM

Default GD-40

Panel space required for indicator & selftest button. Circuit board is mounted under the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF591CF1-FF20-4F1E-88C8-B44DC0BBA494.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	21346  
RV 7A RV #9700 May 2017
N325KS the Flying “K”
Built in SoCal KCCB, now in GA @ KPXE
900+ Hours & 7X cross the USA
OSH flyin 2018, 2019 & 2022. Petit Jean 2019 & 2021
Old 01-23-2022, 08:23 AM

Default Good to have

I agree with most that it is a good idea to have one of these installed in your airplane, something better than the paper dot.
An integrated panel unit may be best but this one below appears to serve the purpose very well as an afterthought.
https://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Mono...%2C433&sr=8-49
As to the "need" for yet another regulation.....I don't think so.
Running on 91 Octane E10 mogas since 2011
We all get what some of us deserve
Old 01-23-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post

One thing I didn't know is that the onset of hypoxia cannot be self diagnosed.
I don't really agree with this statement. In Navy/Marine aviation we trained in the hypobaric chamber specifically to acquaint ourselves with recognizing hypoxia onset.

Flight rules said we were to wear 100% oxygen from start up to shut down, but in practice most of us just self monitored and breathed the oxygen when needed. Operating without supplemental oxygen at a cabin altitude in the mid 20s was pretty standard even if the texts said it wasn't possible.

Had a flight early on as a 1Lt in the back of a two seater with a crusty Colonel who asked me to take off my mask and secure my oxygen during a X-Cntry in the high 40ks' because he needed a smoke. Nearly 30k' cabin alt and all the CO that goes with cigarettes.

Not smart, not right, but self monitoring one's oxygen saturation is entirely doable. Something that can be learned in a controlled environment.

The accounts of those that have survived hypemic hypoxia by CO inhalation seem to all include the classic symptoms prior to being disabled. Perhaps not recognized due to lack of experience, but all there.

Strolled into my walk in fridge in my brewery one day and got three steps in and realized there was no oxygen through the rapid onset of hypoxic hypoxia (yah, hypoxic hypoxia...it's a real term). A large CO2 bottle had leaked out overnight and displaced most, if not all of the breathable air at nose level. You'd think you would detect the sting of the CO2 but when it's really cold you miss it. Unfortunately folks in the beer/wine industry die every year this way. (Usually bending over the side of an active or recently emptied fermenter) Those sessions in the hypobaric chamber helped me that day and can help any aviator, good stuff and available to all.

Recommend following FARs on oxygen use, and get some hypobaric chamber training, or the new normobaric hypoxia chamber! It can save your life.

Last edited by wawrzynskivp : 01-24-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:32 AM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post

One thing I didn't know is that the onset of hypoxia cannot be self diagnosed.

If one thinks they will be able to tell if they are having the early symptoms and be able to open up a vent and prevent hypoxia, the real life data does not show this. I think the euphoria one gets during the early stages overwhelms the ability to self detect.
John,
Respectfully, I think you're confusing basic hypoxia with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Stated simply, hypoxia is a deficiency in the amount of oxygen (O2) reaching body tissues. There are 6 different types of hypoxia, each brought about by different conditions external or internal to the body.

In the USAF, we hit the altitude chamber every 4 years specifically to experience our own personal hypoxia symptoms, and how they change over time. It was that very training that helped me recognize my own hypoxia event in the F-4, which I dealt with immediately as I was trained. My symptoms: An unusual warm feeling all over, fuzzy stars along the visual periphery with associated gray tunneling, loss of color acuity, and cyanosis (purpling) of my fingernails. I gang-loaded my O2 regulator to 100%/Emergency, and fealt better immediately. That was hypoxic hypoxia, a general lack of sufficient oxygen to the body. The onset of most hypoxia symptoms can most definitely be diagnosed...

...but not always.

Carbon monoxide causes hypemic hypoxia, when the body is unable to transport a sufficient supply of the oxygen that is available. Because the CO molecules 'displace' the O2 molecules in the red blood cells, they reduce the amount of O2 being carried to the brain, eyes, and tissues. Hypoxia from CO poisoning is much more insidious than other forms of hypoxia. It impairs the brain's functions, judgement, and mental faculties such that you cannot mentally process that it's happening to you, what to do about it, or even recognize that something must be done. Replenishing the lungs with O2 may not clear up the problem, depending on how much CO has been absorbed by the red blood cells--there's no room for the good O2 molecules.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2022 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.

Last edited by scrollF4 : 01-23-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:14 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollF4 View Post
John,
Respectfully, I think you're confusing basic hypoxia with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Stated simply, hypoxia is a deficiency in the amount of oxygen (O2) reaching body tissues. There are 6 different types of hypoxia, each brought about by different conditions external or internal to the body.

In the USAF, we hit the altitude chamber every 4 years specifically to experience our own personal hypoxia symptoms, and how they change over time. It was that very training that helped me recognize my own hypoxia event in the F-4, which I dealt with immediately as I was trained. My symptoms: An unusual warm feeling all over, fuzzy stars along the visual periphery with associated gray tunneling, loss of color acuity, and cyanosis (purpling) of my fingernails. I gang-loaded my O2 regulator to 100%/Emergency, and fealt better immediately. That was hypoxic hypoxia, a general lack of sufficient oxygen to the body. The onset of most hypoxia symptoms can most definitely be diagnosed...

...but not always.

Carbon monoxide causes hypemic hypoxia, when the body is unable to transport a sufficient supply of the oxygen that is available. Because the CO molecules 'displace' the O2 molecules in the red blood cells, they reduce the amount of O2 being carried to the brain, eyes, and tissues. Hypoxia from CO poisoning is much more insidious than other forms of hypoxia. It impairs the brain's functions, judgement, and mental faculties such that you cannot mentally process that it's happening to you, what to do about it, or even recognize that something must be done. Replenishing the lungs with O2 may not clear up the problem, depending on how much CO has been absorbed by the red blood cells--there's no room for the good O2 molecules.
Thank you for clearing this up.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done
Fiberglass 90%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 03-08-2022, 11:18 AM

Feedback - one data point.

I tried the Forensics detector - it failed after six months.

I have since gone to this one.

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/13415
Old 03-08-2022, 02:45 PM

My understanding of chemistry is that if you run lean-of-peak, CO poisoning is unlikely. Could happen when climbing at rich settings I suppose.