What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To B or not to B....GTR200

CATPart

Well Known Member
Will I use the Bluetooth? I don't know. I don't use it in my car. Thus far I never listened to music while I fly. If my radio is working I can't see why I would call the tower on my phone, so.. (ok I guess there is a comm failure scenario where it might be useful)

I think I am answering my own question here as I type, I don't think I need the B.

Any PiReps out there for and against it?

With the GTR200, is it possible to have a line-in that lets me use my phone, in the off chance I might want to use it for music or a call?

Blue tooth

I use the Garmin Aera 760 for Airport Facility/Directory information. It has Blue Tooth ability 2 clicks and it will push the desired frequency directly onto GTR200B. No Dialing or rolling knobs. I would think other Garmin products with Blue Tooth would do the same?

ForeFlight has some nice audible warnings. Traffic if ADSB equipped, taxi warnings if you’re approaching a runway etc…

Bluetooth headsets can do they same thing though. The frequency push mentioned below is a cool feature.

If you have or are planning to have a newer audio panel then you will get both Bluetooth and better phone/music control therefore won’t need the Bluetooth in the radio. If you are planning a second radio then the intercom in the gtr200 is not going to work, you’ll probably need buy an audio panel.

I bought the 200B because I like listening to music bluetoothed from my phone or iPad. I also can receive a phone call from my wife telling me to get home…..

I bought the 200B because I like listening to music bluetoothed from my phone or iPad. I also can receive a phone call from my wife telling me to get home…..

So one vote "for" and another vote "against"? :)

I bought the 200 before the 200B was announced. I would have bought the B.

I have the 200B and love it! But of course i pretty much always listen to music when flying. Dont discount the ability to make phone calls as well. Came in very handy for me a few times when i had to call to get my IFR clearance. All hands free.

I am in the same boat, for an extra $200, I would get it. You never know what you might use it for.

Fair enough. It is easy to count pennies while creating the shopping list, but once I see the total, 200 bucks is not a big deal.

Back