Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2022, 10:27 AM

I go by the theory that you only have to secure (heat shrink) the ones you don't want to have come loose or break. It's your airplane.
Kinda like the dentist says to do I really have to floss and brush my teeth. "You only have to clean the ones you want to keep."""
I like secure and YES it takes longer, But, bare connectors and heat shrink are really not that hard to get right.
I've had wires break in flight, Because somebody before me did not practice good work ethic.
My three cents worth Art
Old 05-08-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohoflyer View Post
That crimping tool is 233.00. Wow.
Yup. And, you need specific crimpers for coax, and some different crimpers for PIDG terminals. And, then there's the crimpers for the pins that go in D-Sub connectors. There are different sizes of wires and pins. And some crimpers only do one size. Then, there's even more expensive ones that do all different sizes.

Aviation ain't cheap. But after 22 years is the Navy as an avionics tech and another 4 years in a part 145 repair depot, I'm not gonna trust crimp splices/terminals/pins that aren't done with the correct tool.

Last edited by N804RV : 05-08-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:50 PM

In my airline career Boeing/Douglas spec’d std Amp terminals for 90% of connections, engines/pylon req’d sealed splices.

Making folks feel like if they don't environmentally seal all their connections, they are somehow doing substandard work is incorrect.
I suggest folks stick to mil-spec parts.

$233 for crimpers is super cheap compared to most crimpers, below is my go-to for most crimps, and it’s the same tool I used in the airline.
(I have thousands invested in wiring tools but many can be found at used sellers for less, good tools=good connections )

https://www.newark.com/amp-te-connec...Smart-Low-ROAS

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 05-08-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Making folks feel like if they don't environmentally seal all their connections, they are somehow doing substandard work is incorrect.
Re adhesive heat shrink, I don't think the primary intent is environmental sealing. A butt splice can be sealed. Fast-on and ring terminals often remain open at the terminal end.

As noted previously, the nod goes to the Amp terminal when speed counts, and when installed using a quality crimper, they are remarkably consistent.

I use a specific ratcheting crimper for bare terminals, in order to achieve a similar level of consistency at the wire crimp.

I would argue a terminal using adhesive heat shrink for strain relief offers superior fatigue resistance. That said, one could easily argue the improvement is overkill.

Quote:
$233 for crimpers is super cheap compared to most crimpers, below is my go-to for most crimps, and it’s the same tool I used in the airline.
Lemme run a thought up the pole here. Although the Vans community tends to be above average in terms of buying power, let's not forget a fundamental fact...EAB continues to be about making aviation affordable. Out goal should be to show builders how they can build quality into their process, regardless of the financial commitment.

Put another way, I would not propose bare terminals and heat shrink as a new standard. I do offer them as an alternative, one which offers installed quality equal to the certified approach.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

I suggest folks stick to mil-spec parts.
I like the Raychem enviro splices because they are a lot skinnier than the "window" type butt splices. The fact that they're sealed on the ends is a nice plus.

Quote:
... below is my go-to for most crimps, and it’s the same tool I used in the airline.
(I have thousands invested in wiring tools but many can be found at used sellers for less, good tools=good connections )

https://www.newark.com/amp-te-connec...Smart-Low-ROAS
I bought mine at Boeing Surplus years ago. My employer, at the time, "calibrated" them for me for free. Anyone whose crimping PIDG and the Amp "window" style butt-splices with anything else, you're probably not using the right tool. Stein does sell the jaws for their crimper frame that will do a proper job. So, if you don't want to go lookin for a used pair of the expensive ones Walt linked to, then buy the crimp frame and jaws from Stein for ring terminals and window style butt splices.

Last edited by N804RV : 05-08-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:18 PM

For AMP Terminals I like the aircraft quality PEW crimpers made in Germany by Rennsteig. The AEA had Rennsteig tools in their classroom and I was impressed enough to order up a Rennsteig 619 060 3 0.25-6.0MM crimper for my every day use. Cost me $211 in 2016. It does the double crimp (wire contact and insulation strain relief). High quality product:

Rennsteig also makes some great wire strippers that release at the end of their stroke.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
For AMP Terminals I like the aircraft quality PEW crimpers made in Germany by Rennsteig. The AEA had Rennsteig tools in their classroom and I was impressed enough to order up a Rennsteig 619 060 3 0.25-6.0MM crimper for my every day use. Cost me $211 in 2016. It does the double crimp (wire contact and insulation strain relief). High quality product:

Rennsteig also makes some great wire strippers that release at the end of their stroke.

Are they really any better than the same looking ~$35 version from Amazon? Replaceable jaws, adjustable “squeeze”. Stein air sells them too..
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020