What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone in Mid-Atlantic Area have a Garmin GTR-200 COMM in their panel?

flybill7

Well Known Member
My brother-in-law has a Garmin GTR200 Comm in his RV-3 and has been having a devil of a time getting it to transmit farther than 30 ft. It receives fine. We've triple-checked the wiring, and put a new antenna on which is very well-grounded. At this point we suspect the Comm radio itself, but before we send it off to Garmin, would like to put a working GTR-200 in the tray and see if everything works OK. Willing to fly to whatever airport you are at, and buy lunch!

I have one

Hey Bill,
I have one. I can get with you if it doesn't work out with Mike,

Matt (from 2VA3)

My brother-in-law has a Garmin GTR200 Comm in his RV-3 and has been having a devil of a time getting it to transmit farther than 30 ft. It receives fine. We've triple-checked the wiring, and put a new antenna on which is very well-grounded.

This really sounds like an antenna ground issue. I realize you said you've ruled it out.

My "go to" solution for these types of problems is to find a local HAM radio operator with a transmitter tester. Nearly all HAMs are very friendly and ready to help with radio issues - even non-HAM radios.

BYW: I've got a GTR-200 but am grounded at my field until I get my new mags timed. If I'm within you travel zone, feel free to ping me and drop in.

Mike, thanks, we'll stop by DMW when you get back from Osh. (Have a big prime rib for me at the Black Otter!) Thanks for the offer Matt. Glen, the Ham transmitter tester is the next step depending on what we find out by plugging a working Comm in the tray. ... Bill

I know you said you triple checked the wiring. Does that include the center conductor of the coax? Be sure the center conductor is seated properly inside the BNC connector to the full depth. I have seen these same symptoms before, and the center conductor was the culprit. I don?t remember for sure if the center conductor is soldered at the back of the GTR 200, but if so that is a prime failure spot.

Vic

Back