What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke System Check Valve

Terry Lutz

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Looking for some ideas to solve a problem with my smoke system. It is a DIY system and has worked very well for the past several years. Now it is starting to dribble smoke oil when the switch is off. Enough to have an effect on smoke oil consumption. I will probably need a check valve, but I'm not sure of what pressure to investigate, or where to find something that matches my AN fittings.

SmokeSystemHelper.com sells good check valves. I use one on each nozzle.

Last edited:
Post a schematic of your system. Sounds far more like a leaking control valve than anything else. I'm not picturing how a check valve would be incorporated/necessary. That said, most CV that fit inside of an AN type connector are for hyd service -> much higher cracking pressures and not a great shutoff leakage.

A poppet valve would make more sense from my concept of how the system should look. Let us know.

Last edited:
Post a schematic of your system. Sounds far more like a leaking control valve than anything else. I'm not picturing how a check valve would be incorporated/necessary. That said, most CV that fit inside of an AN type connector are for hyd service -> much higher cracking pressures and not a great shutoff leakage.

A poppet valve would make more sense from my concept of how the system should look. Let us know.

The check valve in this application is used pretty much like a poppet valve. Just provides some restriction to give a better cutoff and prevent "dribbles"

What he said PLUS ...

SmokeSystemHelper.com sells good check valves. I use one on each nozzle.

Also, consider their solenoids. Can be used in conjunction with check valves.

If you want near "instant" on and off, wire your system so that you have a separate power switch to turn the PUMP on (and leave on) and use your "SMOKE ON/SMOKE OFF" control to open or close the solenoid(s).

If the advertiser of the smoke-related systems here does NOT have what you want, you can also get parts from your local "speed shop" or from places like Summit Racing or JEGS.

Back