What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

which oil temp sensor for Lycoming 0-360L

N605RV

anyone have a P/N for an oil temp sensor for a Lycoming 0-360-J2A. I replaced mine during a repair with one I ordered and now it reads between -9 and 199 (C) so obviously something is wrong, wondering if it's the sensor.
thanks
Mike in Boulder
N605RV

It depends on the engine monitor.

When I had a Rocky Mountain Instrument microMonitor engine monitor, it used a homemade oil temp sensor. When I changed to a Dynon EMS-D10, the sensor kit came with a different oil temp sensor and the Dynon engine monitor needed programmed for the sensor that I used and could have been programmed to use several different sensors.

We would need more information in order to help out.

1 - What oil temp sensor did you have?
2 - How is it grounded?
3 - What are you using to display the temp? Steam, Electronic or EFIS?

Hi, it's an antiquated Rocky Mountain Instrument EMS so you're right, I need the homemade version and posted a note to that effect. Learning something new every day - just trying to limp along until I get an all-new panel
thanks for the note. much appreciated.
Mike

oil temp sensor woes

Hi everyone. It is an ancient Rocky Mountain Instruments monitor so yes, recently found out it needs the homemade one (I posted a request in the off-chance someone had one I could buy). Trying to limp along while building a new panel. All the other functions work on the RMI so, to get by, I just ordered a stand-alone Mitchell oil temp guage and sensor to hold me over. I'm an old varize builder and was amazed I would have to build a sensor....
thanks everyone for the replies.
Mike

Hi everyone. It is an ancient Rocky Mountain Instruments monitor so yes, recently found out it needs the homemade one (I posted a request in the off-chance someone had one I could buy). Trying to limp along while building a new panel. All the other functions work on the RMI so, to get by, I just ordered a stand-alone Mitchell oil temp guage and sensor to hold me over. I'm an old varize builder and was amazed I would have to build a sensor....
thanks everyone for the replies.
Mike

Looks like you'll need to build one. The Rocky Mountain website shows this unit. Mine failed the other day so I'll be building one too. You'll also need a .01uMF capacitor. The instructions are all on the website installation instructions.

"Outside Air Temp or Oil Temp Sensor

This is an integrated circuit sensor AD590-JH. Digikey.com part number AD590JH. No other sensor compatible."

Back