What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Desser Elite Premium 500-6 retread cracks

dekagram

WSStqX4rnMb8N8mo6

In reading so many good things about retreads over the past few years, I order a pair a year ago and was impressed with their performance until yesterday.

The Elite Premium 500-6 retread in the pic was put into service about a year ago and has about 100 landings on it. Looks practically new, except for the checks between the treads. I noticed it while filling the tire back up to 40 psi and called Desser. Effectively, they said if you don't keep this particular retread at 50 psi that's what happens and they won't warranty it.* There was no documentation about min pressure when it was purchased.

Is this a know issue with Desser retreads?* I was thinking about heading to Oshkosh later this week, but now having second thoughts. Do you think it's airworthy until replaced?

Best,

Greg

I have the 500-5 AWBS Retread, Elite Premium 2 Groove (SKU: 500-6 6-Ply RTO) from Desser. I run the tires on my RV-8 between 45 and 52 psi. My tires have similar cracks that yours do (pics below). I have been inspecting them regularly and will replace them if the cracks get any worse.

I also queried Desser and here was their response:

"The cracks on these tires seem to be superficial and safe to continue using. However, your A&P should be able to tell you if these tires need to be replaced. If These cracks get deeper, I suggest changing them."

At the time I took these pics, the tires had about about 172 takeoffs & landings on them.

i-cDfsDxq-L.jpg

i-QGMVn2M-L.jpg

I have two friends that have the same issue with their retreads also. Same tire as I have.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Carl,

It looks and smells like a latent defect. Blaming the failure on a 10 psi delta in pressure is a weak position.

Best,

Greg

I would not fly with those tires. Those look exactly like the tires on my yet to fly -9A that have cracked and deteriorated from age . They will be replaced with new tires closer to first flight. Suitable for rolling plane around in the hanger, but that’s about it IMHO.

I have same tires with very similar cracking. 300+ landings. Tire pressure 35. Getting nervous…. Buying new tires. N80WN

I have the same tires for the past 5 years. Noticed the same cracks three years ago. Careful monitoring showed minimal changes. I wore them out and ran them almost bald and changing them now. I couldn’t find the same tires at Desser (their website sucks). I bought retreads from Wilkerson this time mostly because they had the good tubes also and could fulfill the order right away. I ordered and had everything in two days.

I have the same tires for the past 5 years. Noticed the same cracks three years ago. Careful monitoring showed minimal changes. I wore them out and ran them almost bald and changing them now. I couldn’t find the same tires at Desser (their website sucks). I bought retreads from Wilkerson this time mostly because they had the good tubes also and could fulfill the order right away. I ordered and had everything in two days.

I've been flying Wilkerson retreads on my RVs for 20 years. Low prices, quick serivce. No instances of cracks observed.

Back