What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grinders

Pirkka

Well Known Member
I'm pretty much decided the tools (waiting S'n'F sales to be started) but there is still one ~$100 question left: the grinders.

Bench grinder will sure do most task but and it is cheap but would you see the pneumatic die grinders (angle/straight) better than the bench grinder?

In case you would go for pneumatic die grinder, would you choose angle either straight? Any other tips regarding this choise are welcome. Thanks in advance (all tips regarding pre-made toolkits has been considered few times and most things as you suggested will be followed -- you can make the difference ;) ).

I have a 1/4 inch air die grinder from "The Yard Store" and also a 1/8 air die grinder from MSC Industrial that works OK. The thing I've noticed about air grinders is the cheaper they are the louder they are. That can really get on your nerves after a long stretch of deburring. You can pay anywhere from $20.00 to $200.00 for the little "PINK usually" 1/8 die grinders. The ones that sell for around $69.00 hold up very well.

A bench grinder is a necessity if you are going to use the 3M 6 inch deburring wheels. You can buy a cheap grinder from Harbor Freight that will work OK. The difference between a cheap grinder and a high dollar one is the diameter of the motor. The big fat motors get in the way a lot when using 6 inch wheels. A good Baldor grinder with a longer skinny motor is the best but is expensive. I have the cheap Harbor freight one and it works OK for most things.

I never answered your original question. I don't have an angle grinder and haven't seen a big need yet. I'm about finished with the wings and am finished with the empennage.

I hopes this helps. :)

Last edited:
rv9aviator said:
I have a 1/4 inch air die grinder from "The Yard Store" and also a 1/8 air die grinder from MSC Industrial that works OK. The thing I've noticed about air grinders is the cheaper they are the louder they are. That can really get on your nerves after a long stretch of deburring. You can pay anywhere from $20.00 to $200.00 for the little "PINK usually" 1/8 die grinders. The ones that sell for around $69.00 hold up very well.

A bench grinder is a necessity if you are going to use the 3M 6 inch deburring wheels. You can buy a cheap grinder from Harbor Freight that will work OK. The difference between a cheap grinder and a high dollar one is the diameter of the motor. The big fat motors get in the way a lot when using 6 inch wheels. A good Baldor grinder with a longer skinny motor is the best but is expensive. I have the cheap Harbor freight one and it works OK for most things.

I never answered your original question. I don't have an angle grinder and haven't seen a big need yet. I'm about finished with the wings and am finished with the empennage.

I hopes this helps. :)

Jim
I use the angled die grinder with a blue scotchbrite disk(or equivalent) to debur. You might find this method useful when doing hundreds of skin rivet holes.

Peter

I use the scotchbrite wheel in my drill press instead of a grinder. You get much better access this way.

I have the Harbor Freight ball bearing bench grinder. Really nice and surprisingly smooth considering the source.

I don't use my angle/straight die grinders all that much, but when I do it's indispensible. It's especially convenient for doing lightening holes, polishing out deeper scratches (with the Scotchbrite ROLOC pads), and stuff like this.

This isn't really a bench vs. die grinder thing. They're much different.

Angle vs. Straight: They're cheap....buy both :) I have a very nice Ingersol-Rand angle die grinder. It works very well with the ROLOC pads. I also have a Husky (Home Depot brand) straight die grinder (overpriced piece of junk, IMHO) and a Harbor Freight straight die grinder (very appropriately priced piece of junk, and nicer than the Husky I think). Overall, if you have to buy one, the straight one will do everything you need it to do while the 90 degree doesn't work that well with the little scotchbrite wheels. If I had to do it again, I would buy a 90 degree and a straight die grinder from Harbor Freight. I happened to already have the Ingersol-Rand but if all you're doing is building this plane, the Harbor Freight is PLENTY.

Last edited:
I agree on the Harbor Freight

Normally I would say buy good tools but I have the Harbor freight die grinders and they have worked fine for me so far. I think they were like $10 a piece so if they quit I'm not out much.

I have a cheap bench grinder with a scotch brite on each side that I use ALL the time. As mentioned earlier the motor does get in the way once in a while but nothing that I haven't been able to work around. :)

I did some search based on your comments. So found out these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92007
https://www.averytools.com/cart/pc-370-38-sioux-14-mini-die-grinder.aspx

Ok, sure Sioux is better and likely professional tool, but it really can't explain the whole price difference. $4.99 vs. $75... I can get hearing protectors and buy 10 not-so-pro die grinders from the HF and still save some money.

How about the electric die grinders? Worth of anything? I guess they got same problems than electric drills.

That's one of the ones I have but it cost me something like $8.99. :eek:

Seems to work fine. I do use my dremel tool quite often. Especially with the long flexible extension attached. Come in handy and is easy to control for me.

Last edited:
Pirkka said:
$4.99 vs. $75... I can get hearing protectors and buy 10 not-so-pro die grinders from the HF and still save some money.

I consider most of the Harbor Freight tools to be disposable (although I haven't had anything break yet). Also, they have funny quirks to them. For example, my die grinder spits oil...their air nibbler is even worse. Totally not a big deal. 4.99 is a steal.

jcoloccia said:
I consider most of the Harbor Freight tools to be disposable (although I haven't had anything break yet). Also, they have funny quirks to them. For example, my die grinder spits oil...their air nibbler is even worse. Totally not a big deal. 4.99 is a steal.

John,

I agree. I bought a straight and angled die grinder from Harbor Freight in 1999. Used it on my RV6 and now starting my fuse on my RV9.!

Peterhttp://www.vansairforce.com/community/images/icons/icon11.gif
Red face

I don't know why I left this out of my first post. Someone mentioned Dremel grinders. I bought a cordless Dremel grinder that uses a big lithium battery. This thing is about the handiest thing you can imagine. The battery holds a charge even after sitting for a month and runs forever on a charge. It has more power than the older Dremels too. I love this tool! Man I need a life :eek:

Back