What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help in Phoenix!

dacronwall

Well Known Member
I flew my RV-3 from Palo Alto to Phoenix today….stopped in Victorville for fuel, and an hour from Phoenix I lost my alternator. Pulled all the breakers, called ahead to Albuquerque and asked them to let Phoenix class Bravo know I was coming through under the Bravo with (possibly) no radio or transponder. They called ahead to Chandler, transponder crapped out but my radio held on till I landed. No emergency, plane is fine, safe on ground.
But I need an alternator. I’m gonna grab some tools and pull out the battery in the morning and charge it up, and try to find an alternator that will work to get me home.
Anybody help me out with a spare alternator? I’m in Tempe about 20 min from Chandler. Was gonna head home Sunday, hoping I can get this patched up enough to not have to stay Monday.
Dave
408-640-0641

Do you know what type alternator?

There is a chance your RV3 has a Nippondenso. That's what my RV6 has. Fairly common back in the day.

I replaced mine last year. Found one at OReilly auto parts of which there are many stores in the Tempe/Chandler area.

I don't know if this specific unit will fit your plane, but it is very similar to the one I put on my RV6.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.33.23 PM.png

The have this unit in stock at this store in Chandler:

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.34.11 PM.png

Maybe by going to one of their stores near where you are staying, you can find something in the valley that will at least get you home.

With a couple other Van’s folks, I’m happy to report we were able to support and enable Dave to get himself going.

What’s a nice -3 !

N66GB.jpg

That's great news. Did it need a new alternator? Were you able to find one locally. If so, where and what model number. Useful info for the next AOG due to alternator. Thanks,

Ya, dacronwall was able to find one locally, I didn't get the model #. He said it was off a Mitsubishi forklift. The regulator was the more challenging part as that wasn't available locally; he was able to make one work that was of.. temporary form factor -- to get home.

Back