What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pushing down on tail?

great question

I do the same, I don't push out at the end but near or on the fuselage, learned it from moving the 172 around. great question

Press down at inboard end of horiz stab over rib & front spar, press down on fuselage over rear most bulkhead. In both cases this is on the edges of the intersection fairing.
Never press down between ribs or bulkheads.

Press down at inboard end of horiz stab over rib & front spar, press down on fuselage over rear most bulkhead. In both cases this is on the edges of the intersection fairing.
Never press down between ribs or bulkheads.

I have to disagree with Ralph here. Van's has an SB on forward HS cracking problems (SB 14-01-31). This area is susceptible to damage from mishandling, and it can be highly loaded in flight under certain conditions.

Do what you want to the fuselage, but I suggest that using any part of the HS for anything other than flying is asking for trouble.

This applies to any aircraft. They all have cracking issues in this area if they live long enough. I have often wondered how many were actually from mishandling and had nothing to do with flight.

Point noted, but I would certainly hope such a critical structure would stand up to a non-accelerated / non-oscillated 30lb static load within a couple inches of it's mount, about half the pressure needed if pressing down on the two locations I suggested for ground handling.

Also I feel the SB addresses potential load and stress concerns from certain flight induced fatigue issues.

I have seen the results of someone pushing down on a fuselage in the wrong spot (between the bulkheads) and the nice crease which resulted. I have not seen a collapsed HS leading edge skin yet but see the potential of that happening if someone leans on the wrong HS area. (which prompted my post)

I agree with Ralph. Pushing down in correct spot is not an issue, pushing down in wrong spot has potential for damage. Debatable where these spot are.

Point noted, but I would certainly hope such a critical structure would stand up to a non-accelerated / non-oscillated 30lb static load within a couple inches of it's mount, about half the pressure needed if pressing down on the two locations I suggested for ground handling.
Cessna hoped that too. :)

I'm assuming (hopefully) the VAF crowd has a higher structural & technical awareness of their aircraft than the Cessna demographic:):)

Back in '97 we went to the Homecoming with our newly built 6A. This was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and Van's shop was on a grass strip. After we landed, Van himself helped us back our airplane into a spot along the side of the runway and he used the HS to lift the nose and pivot the plane. He recommended pressing down on the front spar (where the rivet line is) as close to the fairing as possible. I've always felt comfortable following his lead.

Back