What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing a Fadec system

Sully73

I am considering removing a FADEC system from a TMX IOF-360 engine because of the lack of technical support, parts, etc....
Questions:
-Can I replace the Fadec with normal mags and a standard fuel injection system?
-Can I continue to use the original Hartzell prop? Hartzell can't tell me for sure.
-Is there any other issues that I would encounter if I do this?
Thanks

I am considering removing a FADEC system from a TMX IOF-360 engine because of the lack of technical support, parts, etc....
Questions:
-Can I continue to use the original Hartzell prop? Hartzell can't tell me for sure.
Thanks

Just my thoughts, but have you considered replacing your FADEC setup with an SDS or EFII system? Also, I can’t can’t advise you on the prop, but I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t be able to use it. If it were mine, I wouldn’t think twice about it.

Questions:
Thanks

As I "understand" it, one of the problems going from mags to electronic ignition (the opposite from what you want to do) is that the ignition in the cylinders puts a harsher pulse into the propeller. Going the other way should be no problem.

But somebody is bound to say, it's an experimental, you can do what you want. Of course, the laws of engineering might not be listening.

If it was me, I'd probably go ahead and do it, but I'd ask around a lot, especially the electronic ignition vendors.

As I "understand" it, one of the problems going from mags to electronic ignition (the opposite from what you want to do) is that the ignition in the cylinders puts a harsher pulse into the propeller. Going the other way should be no problem.

But somebody is bound to say, it's an experimental, you can do what you want. Of course, the laws of engineering might not be listening.

If it was me, I'd probably go ahead and do it, but I'd ask around a lot, especially the electronic ignition vendors.

Bud my 8 is almost ready for engine runs

As I "understand" it, one of the problems going from mags to electronic ignition (the opposite from what you want to do) is that the ignition in the cylinders puts a harsher pulse into the propeller...

I think its more accurate to say "...we have not done any analysis, so we dont know if EI will do any damage, so we can't endorse it..."

Many people make the next leap that "no analysis and no endorsement = bad things are happening".

EI may actually IMPROVE the health of the prop in some circumstances, but until there is a detailed study done we will not know one way or another.

People seem to be missing the fact that the FADEC is electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection.

Going to fuel injection and an electronic ignition should not change anything.

Until we know the spark timing curves of the FADEC and the replacement EI, we can't know that they're the same. All we know is it's an electronically controlled spark in both systems.

People seem to be missing the fact that the FADEC is electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection.

Going to fuel injection and an electronic ignition should not change anything.

Hi Danny,
When will you begin running without the Fadec? I would be interested in knowing how this goes.
Thanks

Just my thoughts, but have you considered replacing your FADEC setup with an SDS or EFII system? Also, I can’t can’t advise you on the prop, but I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t be able to use it. If it were mine, I wouldn’t think twice about it.

Yes, I am installing a Dynon System

Yes, I am installing a Dynon System

I wasn’t referring to an “EFIS”, I was referring to EFII…(SDS or FlyEFII). Both of these companies sell very nice electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection systems. They’re “kind of” like a poor man’s FADEC….but without prop control/interface. These systems really modernizes these old technology air cooled engines and brings them into modern times. If you’re not familiar with them, I think it’d be worth your while to do a little bit of reading on them.

http://www.sdsefi.com/
https://www.flyefii.com/

Thanks, I may let an engine shop set it up and run it to make sure everything is OK.

Now I'm really confused. Does Dynon now make an EFI system?

Sorry for confusing things, I am getting my acronyms messed up. I meant Dynon EMS system. I am also installing a Dynon EFIS.

Dynon does not make an Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) System

Back