What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fully defined drawing of the ACS ignition switch panel cutouts

I'm sitting here trying to draw a new sub panel that should also include a new ACS ignition switch with starter. I don't have the starter switch physically here yet so i can't take measurements. It's surprisingly difficult to find a fully defined drawing of the hole plus the key bit etc. I just need sizes and angles to include this into my CAD file. Does anyone have this?

ACS A-510-2 panel cutout dimensions

You're right. The only online info I can find for the Bendix/Gerdes/ACS switch is how to wire it. Not how big a hole it takes, or where the anti-rotation tab needs to be.

OK, second look on Aircraft Spruce website. I found this: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/igswitches.php?clickkey=5735
Go down to the document titled "Drawing"(pdf file). But, I have to say I am not sure WTH this drawing is trying to convey...tab position I think, measured from......something....not sure what.

So, here are my panel dimensions, made by measuring an actual ACS A-510-2 start switch....way way back when I was doing my panel layout. The panel hole diameter is 0.620 inches. The anti-rotation tab is 20 degrees down, counterclockwise from the left horizontal axis. The end of the tab is 0.230 inches from the hole center. The tab is 0.080 inches wide. (Takes way more to explain it than if I just uploaded a fully qualified drawing.....but my CAD drawing is not fully dimensioned. To scale of course.)

Just so you know, the tab location above assumes the front label plate is horizontal on the panel (ie: zero bank angle), not set at some weird rotation angle.

If this doesn't work for you, or make sense, I can upload a dimensioned drawing. Let me know if you need that.

FYI, have to say this is my first reply here to someone in Bankok. Got to love VAF.

Thank you, you solved the mystery.

I was confused by the drawing you linked to on 'spruce because it shows the key at an 11 o'clock position. While the aluminium labels have it at an 8 o'clock position. I've created this sketch for future reference, sorry it's in metric but the three dimensions are repeated here as you said

diameter: 0.620″
tab from center: 0.230″
tab width: 0.080″

BQXznwu.jpg

Yep small world, there aren't many builders here but a few exist.

ACS A-510-2 panelcutout

You got it right. No problem dealing with metric….it is just a different set of units.

If you need overall switch body dimensions, I can measure the one in my panel fairly easily.

I rotated my switch slightly so that the key is horizontal when "off" and vertical when on "both".

ACS panel label

Mel's method works fine too. All depends on how you want the labeling to look, and the key position too.

My OCD "everything should be symmetrical" tendency led me to lay out mine as described in post #2 above. Here's a photo of what it looks like. Note, I opted not to use the ACS provided cover/label plate, and to put the markings directly on the panel. But, the lettering and line positions are the same, at least as close as I could measure them from the part, and draw them in CAD.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 68
Just got the ignition switch in the mail and my dimensions are completely wrong lol. Maybe they changed something, what i received is Part A-510-2.

The panel hole diameter is 22.3mm, the tab is 3.12mm wide and the end of the tab is 9.15mm from the hole center.

Hope someone will find this useful.

Back