What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNX 375/Aera 760

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Just completed the install of the GNX 375/Aera 760 combination and came across a configuration issue that may affect others doing a similar upgrade.

Basically if you have the Aera GPS configured to upload VHF frequencies to either a SL30 or 40 (Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out) then you must use RS 232 Port 1 on the 760. If you use port 2 and port 1 is configured with MapMx to talk to the 375 then the VHF frequencies will not upload to the comms units. Works fine the other way around.
Figs

you can also connect via bluetooth with a 760. I have a 760, GNX375, gtr225 and two GI275s. I connect the 760 to Connext via bluetooth to the primary 275, and use both R2232 channels to go to the 375 and the 225. I can push frequencies to the GTR and do just about anything I need on the 375 via the 760 except change the xpdr code. working great so far.

you can also connect via bluetooth with a 760. I have a 760, GNX375, gtr225 and two GI275s. I connect the 760 to Connext via bluetooth to the primary 275, and use both R2232 channels to go to the 375 and the 225. I can push frequencies to the GTR and do just about anything I need on the 375 via the 760 except change the xpdr code. working great so far.

I have the 760 connected to the 375 via bluetooth also for the ADSB weather and traffic and AHRS data. Use the additional 375 bluetooth channels to drive Garmin Pilot on the iPad/iPhone. End up being a pretty clean solution for the upgrade.
Figs

Thank you VAF and uk_figs

l have a 375 and a GTR 200 that I previously had paired with a 796. I upgraded to the 760 and have spent days with Garmin Support and reading the manual to figure our why when I configured the MapMX port I lost my ability to transfer com frequencies to the GTR 200. I saw this post and imediately reconfigured the ports as suggested by uk_figs and it works perfectly. Thank you!! My friends at Garmin are still working on it. I will let them know tomorrow what I discovered from you!

Another GNX 375 configuration issue

I am having another intermittent GNX 375 configuration issue that Garmin does not seem to have a solution for and checking to see if anyone else has a similar issue.

Relevant system configuration is GNX 375 connected to Aera 760 via RS232 for mapMx and via Bluetooth for ADSB/TIS/AHRS using Connext data format (per the manual).

According to the install manual, the GNX 375 is supposed to be able to connect up to 3 Bluetooth devices simultaneously (and pair as many as 13) however when a a second BT device such as iPhone or iPad running Garmin Pilot is connected, the ADSB/TIS/AHRS function to the Aera 760 fails on some flights and I get failure messages and "no attitude" messages etc. on the 760. If I remove the second paired device via the the 375 Bluetooth setup page the ADSB/TIS/AHRS function all restore.

On the advice of Garmin aviation support I reinstalled the 375 firmware and updated to version 3.11 and everything seemed to work fine on 3 flights last week and then yesterday the same problem occurred again and I could not get the system to work properly with the iPad connected via the second Bluetooth channel and had to remove the pairing to get traffic function etc. back on the 760.

So far Garmin does not seem to know what the problem is.

While not a huge issue when flying as I use the 760 primarily versus the iPad it does limit options and the ability to plan a flight in Garmin Pilot and upload to the 375, and approach charts are better on the larger iPad screen.

Hopefully someone has some ideas that I have not yet tried to solve this or maybe the Garmin experimental support folks have some ideas as when it is all working it is a very nice setup.
Thanks Figs

Did you get the ability to select the "Direct To" function on the 760 to drive the 375 "Direct to" function (with external source selected on the 760)? This does not seem to work on my setup, works the other way around (direct to selection on the 375 updates the 760).
Figs

Alpinestar,

You mention above that you have your Aera 760 connected to the primary 275 with bluetooth. I have the exact same equipment as you and was told by Garmin that the Aera 760 will not connect or interact with the GI 275 in any way. I tried pairing the Aera 760 with my GI 275 and the 275 does not show up as an available selection when scanning for bluetooth devices on the 760. I can connect the Aera 760 to the GNX375 or my Ipad mini but not the GI 275. How did you get the connection between the Aera 760 and the GI 275 to work? Also, what RS232 connection protocol are you using from the Aera 760 to the GNX375 (MapMX, Connect 57600, etc.)?

Back