What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Request for Canadian GPS-175 owner...

prkaye

Well Known Member
If any of you in Canada have a GPS-175, could you do me a favour and punch in CYSH and see if the RNAV approaches come-up on the GPS-175? These approaches are from the RCAP, and they don't appear on Garmin Pilot running on my tablet. I'm curious if they will appear on the GPS-175. (Even though these approaches are Restricted, the Smiths Falls FTU is authorized to fly them).
Thanks!
Phil

I don't have access to my GPS-175 at the moment and my databases are expired, but I checked the Garmin Aviation Trainer and it has both RCAP procedures. ForeFlight also has them.

Thanks Claude,
If you think of it next time you're in the airplane, please check if it comes up on the GPS-175. I have one on order, but not having those approaches would be a signfiicant consideration for me since CYSH is my home airport!
It's very strange that these approaches don't come up in Garmin Pilot (other RCAP approaches do appear in Garmin Pilot, e.g CYTB).
What's even stranger is that when i first installed Garmin Pilot back in May, the CYSH approaches *did* appear in Garmin Pilot, but they stopped appearing about a month later.
I would have thought that Garmin Pilot uses the same database information that the IFR avionics (like the GPS-175) use.

Thanks Claude,
If you think of it next time you're in the airplane, please check if it comes up on the GPS-175. I have one on order, but not having those approaches would be a signfiicant consideration for me since CYSH is my home airport!
It's very strange that these approaches don't come up in Garmin Pilot (other RCAP approaches do appear in Garmin Pilot, e.g CYTB).
What's even stranger is that when i first installed Garmin Pilot back in May, the CYSH approaches *did* appear in Garmin Pilot, but they stopped appearing about a month later.
I would have thought that Garmin Pilot uses the same database information that the IFR avionics (like the GPS-175) use.

I have found that some garmin databases do NOT contain the same information, as an example the databases in my Aera 760 portable contain some private/public airports that I fly to that are not included in my GNX 375 certified navigator database. Not sure why.
Figs

Explanation from Garmin

I got the following explanation from Garmin Support:

All of your units have certified Jeppesen databases which will include the RNAV approaches. Garmin Pilot and its Canadian standard and Canadian premium subscriptions are Garmin services, but you need the Jeppesen charts that have that RNAV approach.

That's annoying.

This might not be relevant. You can't get/display charts on the 175. This might apply to Garmin Pilot, but it's the database that you buy from Garmin that determines what approaches you can use with the 175. I don't thing Jepperson has anything to do with the databases, I don't see an option for it on my Garmin database page.

Hopefully someone with at 175/355/375 with Canadian databases can confirm the CYSH approaches. I'm not going to be able to for a few weeks.

I guess I just reworded their response, didn't I. Bottom line is that Garmin Pilot is a problem, but the 175's databases are fine. Advantage Foreflight.

Indeed, today I wandered over to the Ottawa Avionics shop at YSH and they just happened to be working on a GPS-175 install. He fired it up for me and we verified the YSH approaches are there.
It's really bizarre that i have to buy a separate Jeppeson subscription to see those particular approaches on Garmin Pilot (every other RNAV approach I have looked for, including RCAP restricted ones, do appear in Garmin Pilot without the Jeppeson subscription). It's tempting me to splurge on an IPad Pro and switch to Foreflight (the other Foreflight feature i would enjoy is the ability to draw directly on the charts with the pen - Garmin Pilot doesn't support this with the Samsung S-Pen :( ).

Well, this is even more annoying - I just purchased the Jeppesen North America NavData upgrade for Garmin Pilot, and the CYSH RNAV approaches are still missing! I've asked Garmin for a refund for the Jeppesen upgrade.

I think that it could be a NavCan restriction? Try to see what they say about it. Authorized user might have a "special" navdata base subscription available only to them. I do not know for certain, but speculating. I have seen this in the past. If you buy the paper approach plate from Navcan - is it printed? That might be telling..?

Does this help? NavCan sells the restricted procedures separate from the unrestricted plates.

Attachments

• E08CEA1F-493F-4B0B-BC09-01A69D93F9B8.jpeg
    E08CEA1F-493F-4B0B-BC09-01A69D93F9B8.jpeg
    800.6 KB · Views: 23
NavCan sells the restricted procedures separate from the unrestricted plates.
Yes indeed, it's called the RCAP - approacces that have special requirements are in there (in the case of CYSH it's because of some obstacles - special training from the Flight Training Unit is required to legally fly them). I have the plates, but would like to have them overlaid within the maps in Garmin Pilot, as other approaches are. Also, the waypoints on that approach are not included in the Garmin pilot maps/charts. Not a show-stopper, but i do like having those plates superimposed on my moving map in GP.

I think that it could be a NavCan restriction?
At first I thought that it was because the CYSH approaches are published in the Restricted Canada Air Pilot (RCAP) as OPSPEC only. But other RCAP approaches (e.g. CYTB) do appear in Garmin Pilot. They all appear in my GPS-175 and i was told this because the GPS-175 has the Garmin and Jeppesen databases.
When I read the fine print of the Jeppesen North American NavData that i bought for Garmin Pilot, I notice this:
Does not include Instrument Approach Procedure data or Jeppesen Charts
There doesn't appear to be any way to get these for Garmin Pilot running on Android (Jeppesen Charts appears as part of the Canada Premium, which i own, but only for ios:(). And if i switch to Foreflight i lose the Connext integration with my avionics, which is VERY nice.

Last edited:
Back