camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-04-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Outstanding work!

(I'm doing mine at the moment, and have fresh eyes on what a significant challenge this is. Hopefully I'll be making a similar post in a few months!)

-mark
Keep with it Mark and you will get it done! Good luck!
Old 08-04-2022, 11:15 AM

Nicely done! I got my IFR ticket in my RV as well, and had no trouble finding an instructor or an examiner that would work with me in my plane.

My instructor, when I first called him up and asked about it, said he knew the RV series of aircraft and would be happy to fly in one - but he wanted to reserve an answer until he had seen my panel. I taxied up to the FBO and he met me there, and upon seeing dual 10" Dynon Classics, a G5 backup, and a 430W immediately said "Yeah, that'll work. Let's do it."

During the checkride I was hand-flying the RNAV25 into KMDD and the examiner had me fail my left screen by powering it off - then I continued handflying the approach by the right screen. I had never done this in practice - it was difficult but acceptable, I recommend practicing it!
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Repeat Offender - 10 empennage in process.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Nicely done! I got my IFR ticket in my RV as well, and had no trouble finding an instructor or an examiner that would work with me in my plane.

My instructor, when I first called him up and asked about it, said he knew the RV series of aircraft and would be happy to fly in one - but he wanted to reserve an answer until he had seen my panel. I taxied up to the FBO and he met me there, and upon seeing dual 10" Dynon Classics, a G5 backup, and a 430W immediately said "Yeah, that'll work. Let's do it."

During the checkride I was hand-flying the RNAV25 into KMDD and the examiner had me fail my left screen by powering it off - then I continued handflying the approach by the right screen. I had never done this in practice - it was difficult but acceptable, I recommend practicing it!
Ya I was most worried about finding a DPE but that turned out to be a non issue. My local CFII is a young dude so he was all for training in the RV. He was actually the one who initially asked my DPE if he would do it in an experimental and he said he would want to see the plane first and go for a test flight.

I happened to run into the DPE about 20 min after taking my written and ended up talking to him for a bit. He looked at the plane and panel and said "oh wow, this is nice". He never made me take him for a test flight.

I was very impressed with that DPE, firm but fair and didn't make anything up whatsoever like some do; if it is in the ACS/regs (or not) that is what he follows. I was worried he was going to make me spend 400 bucks on a compass but thank goodness he follows the regs. I'm happy with the redundancy from my dual ADAHRS and backup G5. haha

I too had an unpracticed partial panel on the checkride. We had been failing the entire screen in training and the DPE only failed some flight instruments. I still had a lot of info on that screen but I tried to just ignore it and fly off the G5 like in training.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
We had been failing the entire screen in training and the DPE only failed some flight instruments. I still had a lot of info on that screen but I tried to just ignore it and fly off the G5 like in training.
Iím curious, how did he partially fail an EFIS?
Old 08-04-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
He had little suction cup covers that just stuck to the screen. Also used electrical tape at times to cover up glide slope indications.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:20 PM

Default Sticky Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I took my instrument check ride in my RV-7 a little over 2 years ago. In my case, the DPE put a couple of sticky notes over the attitude and HSI display on my Dynon Skyview. Did this part of the way down on an RNAV approach. My partial panel was to switch my scan to the G5 and the little CDI readout on the Avidyne IFD440. The LPV approach was suddenly an LNAV.

Our local DPE doesn't do any checkrides in experimentals as a matter of policy. Fortunately, Catherine Cavagnaro up in Sewanee, TN had no problem with it.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
915 hours and counting . . . .
33 Pilots N Paws Flights
Now based at Moontown (3M5)