What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12is Rudder cable link lengths

ZenithDriver

I'm New Here
Kind of a tongue twister that title :)

I am building my RV-12is in a fairly constrained space and it would be very convenient for me if I could install the forward F-01258 rudder cable links without using the prescribed process in the plans. I do not yet have the tail cone installed, but would like to install these links prior to the forward tunnel access being constrained. I understand it is possible they might have to be replaced in the future if I get the length wrong, but they are not expensive and from what I understand, the length is not critical unless they are so long that the rudder pedals hit the firewall before the rudder stops.

Bottom line....does anyone have recorded the lengths of their measured rudder cable links that you can share, or even a picture showing specifically what set of pre-drilled holes you ended up using?

Thanks in advance,

Walt Cannon
RV-6 N36WC - 1993
Currently building RV-12is

The reason for the prescribed process, is that the rudder cables have an overall length dimension tolerance and they vary in length slightly.
Properly sizing the links is how that variation is compensated for.
If the overall length ends up too long, portions of the pedal assemblies can contact the firewall before the rudder hits the rudder stops.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for that verification. I think I understand why it is recommended to do it the way the KAI suggests. I am just looking to try and not have to get back into the tunnel when the airplane if fully wired and fitted out in in the cockpit. I am hoping to get some typical rudder link sizes that have worked for others. Worse case, if I do them now and they are too long, I would to do them over again later and shorten them up with the reduced access.

Still looking for info if anyone else has it available.

Cheers,

WC

I had the same concern a couple years ago. I ended up temporarily attaching the aft fus, vertical fin, and rudder in order to get the correct lengths. You may want to consider that option. My link hole to hole center dimensions are 1 29/32 (left) and 25/32 (right), but like Scott mentioned each airplane may be different due to cable length tolerance.

I had the same concern a couple years ago. I ended up temporarily attaching the aft fus, vertical fin, and rudder in order to get the correct lengths. You may want to consider that option. My link hole to hole center dimensions are 1 29/32 (left) and 25/32 (right), but like Scott mentioned each airplane may be different due to cable length tolerance.
I did the same. I think it’s worth it in the long run. You don’t want to get those lengths wrong, it’s difficult to get in there if you need to change them later

Back