What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bundles on top of bundles: standoffs needed?

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Pretty sure I know the answer to this but wanted to double check. I've got these wiring bundles crossing each other, I can't just lay/secure them on top of each other but I'll have to have some kind of standoff to keep them separate, right?

TIA

Attachments

• Wiring bundles.jpeg
    Wiring bundles.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 262
Larry’s idea works, but can also make a standoff out of a 1/8” piece of tubing, captured in a tie wrap (a fake figure eight) that threads through another tie wrap at right angles around the first bundle.

Very stylish…… ;)

Thanks gents. Any minimum distance?

BTW Flight, I'm listening to the MIT Shuttle lectures tonight in the hangar, fascinating to hear the nitty-gritty details of how the STS system was designed/flown. https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronau...-885j-aircraft-systems-engineering-fall-2005/

From the course description, looks like a couple of good guys to listen to on the topic!

On minimum standoff distance, I’d say 1/8” is plenty of you can get a ring of tubing to hold together that short - you can make it out of anything that is handy - a short ring of pitot/static hose works, or something softer if it doesn’t tear out.

Paul

Tried this today using a ziptie as a spacer, meh. Not crazy about the sharp edges of a ziptie rubbing on the wires, but I'm on the wright track.

Attachments

• Tiewrap standoff.jpeg
    Tiewrap standoff.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 210
Tried this today using a ziptie as a spacer, meh. Not crazy about the sharp edges of a ziptie rubbing on the wires, but I'm on the wright track.

Wax lace is nice, although it's not as quick as zip ties.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/cable_lace/cable_lace.html

noose8.jpg

Silicon fusion tape is magic ;)
Used to protect wire bundles from the sharp cutting edge of zipties. I also have some below each Adel clamp on the engine mount.

Pic below shows figure of 8 with a rubber hose standoff

Attachments

• FT.JPG
    FT.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 198
I changed from zip ties to lacing tape . . .

Steve, you can use what works for you, but I found that lacing tape is lighter, tighter, higher temperature , and fits in tight areas better than zip ties. I did use zips some places, but where it absolutely needed to be permanent, lacing tape became my go to. The knuckle pain of the zips was too much.

I like the latex coated black type - I have a post with numbers somewhere - as it is not sticky. A 1"x1" piece of stainless sheet, with a short cut from the shears will make a nice cutter when pulling from the roll. Eventually, the cutter was fastened to the end of a dowel, and used a clamp to position the roll handy when working n tight spaces. Otherwise too fumbly. (no not a word)

- - my spool - see this thread for all kinds of special tools people have made,

Last edited:

Looking at the picture makes old guys cringe. Why? Old skin is thin, and those stubs sticking out of the square lock are really sharp.

Buy a good pair of miniature side cutters. Lots of brands. One example here:

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/...Vy3xvBB2r1ghyEAQYAiABEgJTjvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cut the strap flush with the face of the block....please, pretty please.
-

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_945 Nov. 15 06.01.jpg
    ScreenHunter_945 Nov. 15 06.01.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 47
Bill & Dan, these are just roughouts to make sure things fit, I'm no where near doing these as a final. Trust me, things will be a LOT prettier (meaning safer, neater, cleaner) when I'm done.

Thanks for the replies, all. The camaraderie of the RV community almost makes me wish I had built one instead of a SeaRey, but I want to land on water more than once. :D And while the SeaRey community is no where near the size of the RV community, us SeaGulls match you in smiles/hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLCDdwbsny4&ab_channel=recreationalmobility

Take care

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, all. The camaraderie of the RV community almost makes me wish I had built one instead of a SeaRey, but I want to land on water more than once. :D ...

Good one, Steve! :)

Every well-maintained and safe aircraft out there is a benefit to the entire flying community. I find it interesting to understand the building challenges of other types of aircraft in addition to RVs, and to learn from builders no matter what they have in their garage or hangar.

Every well-maintained and safe aircraft out there is a benefit to the entire flying community.

Yep. Did a preliminary inspection of a similar amphib this weekend, newly acquired by a local fellow. Found a rod end in the elevator linkage with only six #10 threads engaged and no locknut. Needless to say, those six threads were wearing fast. It was only a matter of time.

Back