What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

$30,000 hamburger

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Just wanted to give a shout out to Midwest Avionics in Lee's Summit MO.

I took the AEA experimental avionics class in KS last year and that particular session was taught by Levi Self, former Garmin guy and current owner of Midwest Avionics.

I had planned to build my own wire bundles, but ultimately git-er-done-itis got the best of me and this seemed like a place that I could shave off some weeks of build time and just write a check rather than pull one wire at a time and wring out the invariable mistakes. With that in mind, I reached out to Levi a while back.

Co-ordinated the purchase of magic boxes through Levi and Brad Brensing at Garmin, had them delivered to Levi's shop, where his guys built the bundles and bench checked everything.

He reached out to me a couple of times throughout to ask where I was planning to put stuff, etc, and was very easy to work with and kept me in the loop on where we were in the process.

Everything was wrapped up late last week and rather than trusting it to fedex I was going to drive up to KC and pick everything up, but Levi volunteered to just fly everything down to me here in Wichita.

Had a nice burger and great conversation at Stearman Cafe at 1K1 with Levi and one of his guys (Tony) Levi currently flies an RV10, used to own an RV6, and is currently building an RV7. Tony is also a former Garmin employee and flies an EAB as well, while it's not an RV, he has basically the same avionics suite in his plane that I ultimately went with. These guys speak my language.

I'm just mentioning this here in case anyone is looking for an avionics solution. A ton of guys can build wire bundles, but customer service and a good working relationship is worth a lot.

Attached picture is a gratuitous shot of what $30,000 of cardboard boxes look like :)

Attachments

• IMG_6355.jpg
    IMG_6355.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 187
Thanks for this

I'm headed to the same course in Feb.

I appreciate the warning of how much this might cost.
$30k is a great incentive to study, practice, and ask lots of questions when I'm at AEA.

Just to be clear- The harnesses were very reasonably priced. The $30k is the cost of all the hardware from Garmin. Full up G3x including backup G5 and an IFR navigator. If I had gone with a basic VFR panel it wold have been about 1/2 of that

We recently were stranded at Lee Summit with a flat tire on our Europa. It turns out that Levi Self, Midwest Avionics is just one business in a large hangar. There is also Matt White, MJ Aviation Innovations. Levi and Matt worked together to find a solution to our problem, including several hours searching the internet.

Both were very helpful.

Jim Butcher

+10 for Levi at Midwest Avionics. Great guy and great business to work with. Also definitely take the AEA class. It fills up fast so get signed up early.

Back