What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Tools for Garmin Install

CABaye

I'm New Here
I am planning the panel update project for the new-to-me RV-6A. The most expensive box in the plan is a GTX375 but the system will also include replacing the existing Trio EZ-pilot with a GMC507 and Garmin servos. The panel currently has dual G5s and a GNS430 (non-WAAS).

I have skimmed the manuals and will give them a more thorough read before diving into the work but was looking for a bit of advice on tools. What do I need? And more importantly what do I need that may not be obvious. I have a good electronics tool kit, including tools for DB-type connectors (crimping tool, pin extractor, ect.)

A bit of background on me. I am a retired Navy Electronics Technician (Submarine Navigation) and currently work as a Controls Engineer. By my reckoning that is just enough knowledge to be dangerous; so your actual experience with this kind of work will be very helpful.

Thanks!

wire stripper
crimper for traditional connectors
Dsub (regular and high density) crimpers (either the mil style or the traditional two band crimps - crimpers are different)(former are easier - latter are cheaper)
regular and HD pin extactors
soldering gear, if you prefer that over crimps
solder sleeves or equivilant for the shield terminations. I used some and others I just soldered a pigtail to the shield and covered with shrink wrap. The latter was faster, as it seemed to take forever for the solder to melt with my heat gun.

Larry

Last edited:
If you have an AFM8 style crimper, you will need the K13-1 positioner for the low density contacts used in the G5 and GAD 29, and a K42 positioner for the smaller high density contacts used by the GNX 375 and GMC 507.

You can crimp every Dsub pin used in a large G5/G3X system with this crimper and these two positioners.

AM-JKLVjqCFQ4IEndh56h4yTMl9B6Dijl5wifFaK8n_tB7fW0s3UzGO3XUSq1EcJ7XD0XnUI7GQMGPKhDnA8y-AY1OysTlmFSXXTwDYZnwQT0gbU_xszmo-0zTtlVoh5D2I_hLPUlg7gAvQFNoXHnIlMMcad=w740

Steve

I don't own a crimper that nice but know how useful it is to have the right tools! I will order one shortly :)

Thanks!

I don't own a crimper that nice but know how useful it is to have the right tools! I will order one shortly :)

Thanks!

I like fancy tools as much as the next guy, but it's hard for me to imagine that you'd find a $400 crimper to be necessary for your panel project. Look at this one https://www.steinair.com/product/4-way-indent-crimper/ . If it doesn't last, you can buy nine more and still be paying less than that AF-M8.

You can buy the inserter for high-density pins.

Attachments

• SAT-004-CRIMPER-L-DSC00548.jpg
    SAT-004-CRIMPER-L-DSC00548.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 48
Sure, it may last this relatively small job, but the real issue is you can't adjust the crimp depth, which is important when you are trying to crimp a variety of wire gauges. The added benefit of the AFM8 tool is that if you want to sell it at the end of it, you'll nearly get what you paid for it. Saying that, it was such a fantastic tool, that after completing my IFR panel, I've kept the crimper and used it for other wiring tasks. You may be able to borrow one from someone near you.
I originally purchased the red-handled tool, realized it's limitations, regretted it, then shelled out for the AFM8 (but did get a pack of cheaper aftermarket positioners that worked fine). There's nothing worse that chasing electrical faults due to poorly crimped connectors.

Tom.
RV-7

I recall using a small piece of safety wire for the RED handle crimper which I inserted into the positioner as a makeshift depth gauge. System working fine for several years now. Another builder came up with this solution. Result was the crimp was on the pin perfectly.

Another vote for Stein's red handle crimper.
I bought the high density adapter and the green/white (HD) removal tool but never used them on my G3X vfr install.

I found that the quality of the pin removal and inserter tools was probably as important as the crimper. The plastic ones that everybody throws into the box when they pack your crimper order are not particularly robust.

I found that the quality of the pin removal and inserter tools was probably as important as the crimper. The plastic ones that everybody throws into the box when they pack your crimper order are not particularly robust.

But, like crimpers, the good ones are $$$.

If you want to go top shelf all the way, purchase the Daniels tweezer style metal pin extractors. You will never want to struggle with the cheaper pin extractors after using these.

DRK145 Image.png

Standard density (size 20) contacts use the DRK145, and the high density contacts use the DRK95-22MB.

Steve

Back