- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:02 AM

Default Building in Cold Weather

Good morning all! Iím just starting my build on an RV 7a. Iím wondering about building in the cold weather. My shop is a two stall garage attached to my house. Itís insulated and heated with a torpedo heater. I live in MN, which is cold on a whole new level. I donít have the ability to heat my garage 24/7, so I plan to warm it up just prior to working in there. Does anyone see any issues with this as the aluminum will be getting warmed up and cooled down multiple times a week? My concerns are 1) condensation forming on the metal and 2) metal expanding and contracting repeatedly. To address the condensation issue, Iím considering using Corrosion X on occasion during the build. Any thoughts or experience with these issues? Thanks!
Old 10-18-2021, 11:15 AM

The continuous heating and cooling is not a problem. Just make sure that all aluminum, structure and skins are warm during riveting.

When I built my -6, it was in controlled environment and I still heated the skins additionally. Probably overkill, but my skins cam out drum tight. At the same time another gentleman just a mile or 2 from me riveted his skins in a cold garage (not cold by your standards) and his skins were VERY loose and wrinkled.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 10-18-2021, 11:33 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Torpedo heaters can cause CO issues.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-18-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Ventilation...Ventilation...Ventilation!
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 10-18-2021, 11:46 AM

Something to consider is your tools will be cold soaked. Maybe your pre-heat will be enough but holding a cold bucking bar in your bare hand is not pleasant!

Also, condensation will form on your tools as well.

My garage isn't heated so I take a break from building over the winter. Slow build indeed.

Cheers,
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Old 10-18-2021, 11:55 AM

yeah, those cold tools eventually wear you down. when it's was cold, late and feeling fatigued, I found myself wondering "why am I doing this".

feeling beaten down in this photo 10 years ago. since then, it's become much better. when you feel like I did, take a photo of yourself.

one thing I wish I would have done earlier is to add better lighting. my lights were not very bright and the cold temps made them even worse. I think working in dim lighting adversely affects my mood. even the day I threw acetone in my face was better than this day.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 10-18-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwollen89 View Post
Good morning all! I’m just starting my build on an RV 7a. I’m wondering about building in the cold weather. My shop is a two stall garage attached to my house. It’s insulated and heated with a torpedo heater. I live in MN, which is cold on a whole new level. I don’t have the ability to heat my garage 24/7, so I plan to warm it up just prior to working in there. Does anyone see any issues with this as the aluminum will be getting warmed up and cooled down multiple times a week? My concerns are 1) condensation forming on the metal and 2) metal expanding and contracting repeatedly. To address the condensation issue, I’m considering using Corrosion X on occasion during the build. Any thoughts or experience with these issues? Thanks!
Aside from working in the cold with cold tools, your consideration of Corrosion X is interesting. To be certain, I am an advocate of C-X and the sacrificial anode it provides in the galvanic action of corrosion, and I think wiping down your idle parts once a year is fine and should be sufficient. There are couple things to consider though; first, if you're going to apply C-X to your parts, an obvious thing is remove the blue plastic first...second, C-X needs to be dried about 6 months prior to attempting to prime/paint as it settles into the metal on a molecular level and will inhibit bonding. So... if you're one of those "gotta prime everything" guys, you may want to reconsider using C-X. If you only prime the parts where dissimilar metals contact, then using MEK, or equivalent prior to priming, then letting completely dry should work as well.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:21 PM

Default Moisture issues too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Torpedo heaters directly vent to the area that they are heating. Iím no chemist, so donít ask for a chemical equation, but moisture is a byproduct of combustion. If you leave it on all day for a good long work session, it may cause condensation and even a bit of rain in your garage. Years ago, I had an insulated but unheated garage in Eau Claire, Wi, so not that far from you, and I witnessed this with a torpedo heater.

Do you have an inside space you could do deburring or small projects in this winter?
Old 10-18-2021, 12:41 PM

Default Unit Heater

I tried space heaters in my garage during my 7A slow build in southeast WI, but ended up having a Reznor unit heater (propane) installed near the ceiling, vented thru the roof. Several other quality unit heater companies, including Modine. Mine had a simple wall mounted thermostat. I needed a box fan on the floor near the garage door, aimed at the ceiling to circulate the heat, which liked to stay on the ceiling.

In my unheated WI hangar, while working on the engine install, there were times where I had a propane torpedo heater at my back, and a radiant electric heater on my front, but as other pointed out, the tools and aircraft/engine parts just don't warm up, so your hands and fingers take a beating.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:46 PM

Default Dehumidifier

I took over 15 years to build my -4, some in a basement, some in garage, some in hangar. I always ran a portable de-humidifer on MAX. Never a corrosion issue. I also work in heavy aircraft overhaul, which is seldom in controlled environment. I am not a fan of using any corrosion-X or similar product during builds, as you will risk having bleed-out in paint and any other finishes you apply if it gets in the wrong spots and you don't get it clean . The de-humidifier saves plane parts, and tools as well. The wick type Kero heaters will be much cleaner and tolerable than a torpedo..add a few old-school quartz lights and you will be warm enough I think. The torpedo will depress you in short order.