What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Many Clecos Should I Have?

GeneralT001

I'm getting the PlaneTools RV-14 kit. It shows that I should be getting:

• 325 x 3/32" Cleco fasteners
  • 175 x 1/8" Cleco Fasteners

Is this enough or should I be ordering more?

I'm getting the PlaneTools RV-14 kit. It shows that I should be getting:

• 325 x 3/32" Cleco fasteners
  • 175 x 1/8" Cleco Fasteners

Is this enough or should I be ordering more?

Standard build or quick build?

If quick build you should be fine. If standard (slow) build then at least double the 3/32. The wings and fuse take a lot of clecos even if you space them every other hole. I'd get a few more (50?) of the 1/8 too. Some places you'll get thin but you won't run out of those like you will the 3/32.

Last edited:
Standard build or quick build?

If standard then at least double the 3/32. The wings and fuse take a lot of clecos even if you space them every other hole. I'd get a few more (50?) of the 1/8 too. Some places you'll get thin but you won't run out of those like you will the 3/32.

The QB kit.

You’ll want more. Inevitably you’ll mess up a part you’re doing and have to set it aside until a replacement piece comes in. You will want to leave your work cleco’d together and start tackling something else and find yourself short on clecos.

you guys buy clecoes?

Don't they just grow under benches and tool boxes like mushrooms? At least that's where I always find a few

Too many clecoes?

you guys buy clecoes?

Don't they just grow under benches and tool boxes like mushrooms? At least that's where I always find a few

:D:D:D Socks disappear from the dryer and manifest themselves as clecoes in the most amazing places!

OK: clecoes are like guitars: can you HAVE too many? If you run out during a critical part of your construction, it will frustrate you and you will curse yourself. Get more! It isn't like you won't use them!

Buy some extra if you think you’ll need them. You will thank yourself the one time you need them all.
But what you really need is a second Cleko plier set! Amazing how you can never find it when you reach for them!

More, but you don't need them right away. be ready to place orders for more, though, and as said above, get two plier sets, they are cheap.

Tim

Clecos are like aircraft engine power. You can never have enough!

I ordered what Van's told me to. Building one wing at a time, I was just barely sufficient. Come fuselage time, I borrowed a lot and bought some more. I'm now ~600 silver clecos, ~350 copper clecos and perhaps 25 black clecos and a 10-12 gold clecos.

I absolutely LOVE my pneumatic cleco tool.

But then I've got arthritis to deal with!

As always, YMMV.

Clecos are like aircraft engine power. You can never have enough!

I ordered what Van's told me to. Building one wing at a time, I was just barely sufficient. Come fuselage time, I borrowed a lot and bought some more. I'm now ~600 silver clecos, ~350 copper clecos and perhaps 25 black clecos and a 10-12 gold clecos.

Don’t forget cleco side clamps! Need some of those, too. :D

I bought the Cleveland kit, 500 silver, never ran out. The grips on my pliers kept sliding off, so I used the following, it’s worked great.
7FA72AC4-1692-4AA0-B6D1-7317B416162B.jpeg

Vacuum hose

I bought the Cleveland kit, 500 silver, never ran out. The grips on my pliers kept sliding off, so I used the following, it’s worked great.
View attachment 16500

I djpped mine too. It lasted pretty well but eventually peeled. I grabbed a piece of rubber vacuum hose. Been there ever since and it's nice and soft.

I built both wings together. Probably 750 silver and 300 copper.

You will find that some (small) percentage of the clecos you buy won't clamp properly even when brand new. When you start working with fuel tank sealant it takes meticulous cleaning to keep your clecos operational, otherwise they will end up clogged with sealant and won't work properly any more. So yeah, you will likely need to buy more later on. Also be aware that you will need the "black" clecos (5/32") too for some of the fuselage kit work. I think I bought around 30 of those.

Last edited:
Also, a few 3/16" Clecos are often handy. These are gold colored.

I wish that we could buy these sizes too -

-#6 screw hole

- #19 (fits #8 screws). We use the 5/32 ones for this, I think.

Dave

Back