What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleavland Automatic Stripper

burtw

Sponsor
Just starting the build but since I need a stripper for work around the house, figure I might as well get the one I'm going to use on the build. Saw the Cleveland Automatic Stripper for around $27 and the Ideal 16-26 ga for around 64. The Ideal seems popular but was wondering if anyone had experience with the Cleveland tool.

I have a set of the automatic strippers. I like em so much I just use the conventional strippers I’ve had for a long time. ;-)

I've have the type of stripper that grips the insulation and pulls it off without having a blade that cuts through the insulation and possibly nicking the wire strands. I think Bob Nuckols recommends them and that's why I went that way. But I've had more than just a couple of wire problems in the 800 hours I have on my 8. So take that for what it's worth.

I like the joy of the perfect tool. "Ideal" is properly named and is the choice of industrial experts who use it a hundred times a day for months on end.

Click Bait

Talk about click bait. I wasnt thinking of wire strippers…….

I also need strippers for work around the house…..

The type with the Dies for stripping Tefzel is what you should use:
(but you won't like the price, link below)
Don't waste your money on the cleaveland tool linked above.

45-1987_b.png

https://prowireusa.com/p-2025-ideal-stripmater-tefzel-stripper-26-16-ga.html

Last edited:
I wrestled with this, ended up with a Capri stripper for $24. It comes with a 14-24 gauge blade, but wouldn’t strip 22 tefzel, so I bought a separate set of tefzel 16-26 gauge blades for it for $14. It has worked very well in my relatively short-duty wiring needs. I don’t propose it as a professional tool, but thus far, it has perfectly met my amateur needs at a cost-efficient price.

Last edited:
The type with the Dies for stripping Tefzel is what you should use:
(but you won't like the price, link below)
Don't waste your money on the cleaveland tool linked above.

45-1987_b.png

https://prowireusa.com/p-2025-ideal-stripmater-tefzel-stripper-26-16-ga.html

The Ideal Stripmaster is the way to go. That is what is used in the aerospace industry. If you live in a town where there is an aerospace industry contractor, you may be able to pick up a used set that works as good as new without the high price. Check the local surplus outlets in the area. I got mine over 30-years ago in Hawthorne, CA not far from many aerospace contractors. I do not remember paying more than $20. Could also pickup surplus tefzel wire at a fraction of the cost what new would cost you. Not sure if Industrial Liquidators is still in business but they were on Hawthorne Blvd south of Rosecrans north of the 405.

I second that

I have the kind shown above, not the cleaveland kind, but rather the ideal kind. I bought the tefzel style jaws for them from the big auction site. They are absolutely awesome. I think of it this way: I am bad at a lot more things than I’m good at, I’ll pay the extra money for good tools, it helps me to not be as bad at new things. Also doing things over is annoying, but good tools so you don’t have to do things over as much.

Last edited:
Back