What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank vents

Freemasm

Well Known Member
RV style vents versus the single or double loop wing root Rocket vents.

Not picturing it. Can you fill the tanks configured with the Rocket wing root vents without having the tanks siphon to below the vent pick-up? Just learn to live without completely filling the tanks?

What is the Rocket community experience?

Thanks

I am using the rocket style "loops" on my -7 and have had no issues. They exit the bottom wing fairing via a bulkhead fitting and JD Air fuel vents. No siphoning whatsoever.

The RV-10 has the vent line come out of it the tank a couple inches and a 90* bend down and straight out. No loops or bizarre cabin entry. I think one thing of most importance is to get the vent line opening in the tank turned up and as close to the top of the tank skin as possible leaving enough clearance to vent without siphoning off gas from a filled tank. I left about 1/16” clearance on mine. I removed the interior vent lines on my RV-9A project and will go with a couple loops in the wing roots with the vent lines before dropping down and then exiting.

In my 9A I use the rocket style double loop on the outboard tanks with a bottom skin Bonaco 45-degree cut vent entrance, works great with no siphon. I use flow-through venting from the outboards to the inboards.

Attachments

• 100_1641.jpg
    100_1641.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 192
The original vents on the RV4 had chaffed through where they passed through a loose adel.
I replaced them with the Rocket style vents: No siphoning and I have over filled them a few times.
I built an early 7A and find the Rocket vents to be superior in every way to the Van’s design.
However: I acquired a Rocket project that already had the Van’s vents installed. The Rocket vents aren’t superior enough to motivate me to redo them.

Last edited:
Back