What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

alternate carburetor

stringbender

Patron
A recent purchase, with 0360-A1A and MA 4-5, and not knowing the history of the carburetor which is IO-3878, I am wanting to install the SL kit 666-660 that mooney used in the early 60's. I contacted Avstar today and they said they would not install it without overhauling. I did get a quote of an exchange and I am thinking it is a model that has a similar jet like used in the SB 666-660 install. I would probably install the kit myself but they mention using a tool, M94 block and enriching the economizer adjustment?

The a/c produces high CHT's on Take off. Also an intermittent cutout that produces a bump which I have not found the reason but suspect superheated fuel lines. Some think its related to a mag? But that negates the logic of two mags?
So possibly I will upgrade to a newer carburetor that will work.

Question?
What model would I choose.

Avstar is located a few miles from my home.

Explain the "bump"

I have an MA-4SPA on my O-320 RV-4, which I "overhauled" myself and it was pretty simple relatively speaking. I didn't have any special tools recommended by MS, but most of the stuff can be improvised like any other "special tool" call-outs. These carbs in certain applications have a history of bumps and stumbles when transitioning through deceleration and jet style. The "Mooney mod" installed a different spray nozzle to eliminate that stumble I am told, although I haven't done it on mine. If I am at WFO take-off and climb then retard the throttle rapidly back to cruise, I will get a very notable bump around 2500 RPM that gets your attention. Slow throttle reduction and it is un-noticeable. I am used to it, and it doesn't do it at any other RPM or under acceleration. The hardest part of a carb overhaul is installing bushings in the throttle shaft bores if they are worn, the rest is pretty much parts replacement and set-up.

Carb P/N

I replaced my carburetor with one from AvStar and told them what I was looking for. They told me a P/n 10-4164-1-OH is what I needed and is a richer 10-3878. It will have a little bump if you lean it too much under full throttle. Add a little mixture an it goes away. I would do the same again....
O-360 A1A also.

Question?
What model would I choose.

Avstar is located a few miles from my home.

10-4164 is the one you are looking for !
It is the richer one.
Given your unknown history and the offer of a trade in....
That is what I would do.
I had/have a 10-3868....added the mooney kit and drilled the jet to get it richer. The 10-4164 is the easy route.
Good luck.

Back