What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forest of Tabs Firewall Location

Drum

Hi - Building -8 with angle valve IO-360 & oil cooler on upper right hand side - finishing electrical. Am interested in thoughts for location of forest of tabs grounding point on cockpit side of firewall. Was thinking center & low because grounding strap opposite side can have short run to bottom of engine. Thanks in advance.

Warm regards,

Drum

Sounds like a good location. What I would not do again: I put the forest of tabs on my -7A on the subpanel near the Dynon components, but found it's difficult and access see the upper tabs and terminals when troubleshooting a potential ground problem.

Hi - Building -8 with angle valve IO-360 & oil cooler on upper right hand side - finishing electrical. Am interested in thoughts for location of forest of tabs grounding point on cockpit side of firewall. Was thinking center & low because grounding strap opposite side can have short run to bottom of engine. Thanks in advance.

Warm regards,

Drum

I put mine here - worked out well. On the FW the forest of tabs will get in the way, and be harder to run cables to.

img_4022.jpg

FW ground info is here to ground the engine and starter to the airframe:

http://www.rv8.ch/ground-point-on-firewall/

Essentially an airframe ground connects my FW to the tabs behind the instrument panel, and I also have a very small ground block on the panel itself that stays with the panel and all the stuff connected there.

http://www.rv8.ch/panel-progress/

Definitely what to avoid.

Sounds like a good location. What I would not do again: I put the forest of tabs on my -7A on the subpanel near the Dynon components, but found it's difficult and access see the upper tabs and terminals when troubleshooting a potential ground problem.

WELL SAID . . . . . I only had one issue to resolve, but a hard to see location, unmarked wires, and harder to reach showed my location has issues.

Where ever you put it keep this in mind. It should be installed where you will be able to service it after the plane is completed with out a lot of contortions and cussing.

I put mine on the firewall above the fuel pump. I'm not flying yet, but I'm done with the wiring. I'm happy with this location as it's been out of the way on the cockpit side and easy to route wires to it. On the engine side of the firewall, I ran a main ground from the battery neg to one of the FOT bolt, and I put a grounding strap to the engine from the other FOT bolt.

I put mine on the firewall above the fuel pump. I'm not flying yet, but I'm done with the wiring. I'm happy with this location as it's been out of the way on the cockpit side and easy to route wires to it. On the engine side of the firewall, I ran a main ground from the battery neg to one of the FOT bolt, and I put a grounding strap to the engine from the other FOT bolt.

Same here - mine is low left, above the fuel line passthrough. All grounds go down the left gear tower and forward along the aux longeron to the forest. It remains to be seen how much maintaining this annoys me.

img_2520-1024x768.jpg

Back