What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Wt & Balance as affect by engine and prop choice

Bernie

I'm New Here
As my research on propellers for the IO-390-EXP119 for a tailwheel RV-14 progresses, another question has surfaced. The EXP119 is supposedly 10 lbs lighter that the stock 390. One propeller option is the new Whirlwind 300 72" 3 bladed carbon fiber prop which weighs in at 36 lbs (10 lbs or so lighter than the Hartzell 72" blended airfoil prop). Overall aircraft weight loss is generally a good thing. But is a weight loss of 20 or so lbs from the nose going to help or hinder the overall weight and balance decisions about where to install certain components? Again thoughts and comments from those ins the know would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bernie

RV-14, 140587, N914BF reserved, building for 2 years
RV-4, SN3630, modified for my 6'7" frame, flying since 5/2020

I have the “old” I0390 Thunderbolt engine, the Hartzell 2-blade composite prop, and a B&C stand-by alternator in my RV-14A. With full fuel and just me aboard, I am just behind the forward cg limit. Losing 10 pounds on the nose would be a good thing for me. Might not be so good for the 14 taildragger.

I agree that prop weight is a real concern for a taildragger if you want maximum usability with pax and cargo loads. Personally if I had a new exp 119 engine I would stick with the heavy prop.

Back